• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When It Says, " Shot XXX Times" ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I'm concerned, a gun shot 1 time is the same as a gun shot 500 times. It's still used. But you hear it all the time... was only shot 10 times. Its either new or used, period.

The Navy Arms Musketoon I bought from GB had red grease inside the breach/bolster area, but the seller didn't say unfired.

If someone says they shot the gun 20 times I would expect it too have been shot 20 times.
Not that it really matters, it’s still a used gun.
If it’s advertised as like new, then I would think it should be in un fired condition....

The only thing that I find interesting is.... Why are you selling it?

I’ve purchased more than one flint gun that Guys have bought and then found out they prefer guns with nipples...
A question for you.

All of the rifles I've built over the years have been to the shooting range at least once to adjust the sights and to make sure they work without a problem.
Do you consider these brand new rifles used just because the builder finished the job of building them?

I think it is useful information if a gun has a low shot count but for me overall condition is more important along with the reputation of the seller. As others have noted, someone who has been around here for a while is as important as other information.

A question for you.

All of the rifles I've built over the years have been to the shooting range at least once to adjust the sights and to make sure they work without a problem.
Do you consider these brand new rifles used just because the builder finished the job of building them?

Jim, in my opinion it would be a used gun... But as I said that shouldn’t matter as long as the gun was maintained and properly cleaned.

The only way I think it should effect the value is if the gun was damaged or if it was being bought as a collector item.

If I were to buy a gun as a Collector, I would expect it too be unfired if it were being sold as new.

If I buy a gun too use, then one round or a couple hundred rounds through it doesn’t bother me , as long as it’s not damaged in any way... excluding a few marks on the frizzen.

Scratch’s, Handling marks, dents , rust bloom in my opinion would effect the value of the weapon , even if it had only been “proofed” , sighted in or test fired.

This is my opinion, I’m not saying it’s the Golden rule by any means.

I do understand a Builder wanting too test fire and sight in the gun too assure it functions properly, but once fired it's no longer new. Like new yes, but not un fired.

Back in the days of "old", a gunsmith would build a rifle and then:

He would test fire it for functionality, sight it in, provide the sighting in target, the load used and the mold that went with the rife.

It would have been considered new. The above was part of the building a rifle.

I have a feeling if you get a high dollar rifle made today, it has been tested prior to sale.

New cartridge guns are provided with spent shell casings as required by some states, they are still called NEW.
As for me, a patch and ball rifle if treated right should last thousands of rounds. Proper cleaning and rust prevention is required. As for accurate, that depends on what the shooter thinks is good enough.

I'm suspicious of guns only shot a low amount. What was the reason? P refer a gun was shot a lot and hunted a lot too.

The Isaac Haines I bought was shot 500 times and hunted for 15 years. That isn't going to wear out a Rice barrel. It does show me the gun works and is accurate enough to hunt for 15 years. It also has the patina I like in a gun. Used but not abused. I'm not a fan of new looking guns.

I see posts with guns for sale that say, "Shot 20 times or 50 times."

What does that mean?

Is that 20 times to the range for shooting?. How many shots for the 20 times to the range.

Or is that 20 shots total?

Some new in the box guns come test fired by the factory, sometimes with the test target enclosed. Some builders sight in their guns prior to delivery of the new gun. In both cases, these are still new guns. Personally, when considering a purchase, the number of rounds fired is just a number - that may or may not be anywhere near the real count. A gun left uncleaned after 5 rounds may be in worse shape than a well cared for gun with 500 rounds. There are "unfired" "safe queens" that have more dings from show off handling & getting other guns in & out of the safe than do guns that have been shot but handled with great care. A brand new gun can arrive with dings (or worse) from poor packing & rough shippers. Condition is all that is important, not claims that cannot be verified.

That's so true. The gun I bought that's been hunted for 15 years doesn't have one ding in the stock. I was shocked.

Back