• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pocket pistol flask real or repo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this flask at estate auction any way off telling if its a reproduction or original? Looks like solder on seam in places maybe repaired? Spring is broke on top.
P7191220.JPG
P7191224.JPG
P7191220.JPG
P7191224.JPG
P7191225.JPG
P7191230.JPG
P7191225.JPG

Looks like it has small screws as retainers for the top. I believe that would indicate a reproduction based on what I have read and seen of original flasks.

Last edited:
My vote would be repro, broken spring looks to be formed from shear and break sheet, thumb tab shape is off

It is a reproduction as others have stated above. Flat head brass screws holding on top, lever wrong shape and probably plated white metal, metric screw and spout threads are the most apparent signs of a reproduction flask.

Solder might be a repair but likely made that way. Have often seen reproductions with soldered seams like your photos show.

Whether any Colt Eagle flasks where ever made in the US I can't say but Dixons of Sheffield England made them originally they will show a much crisper Eagle & it has more detail balls ect . The original dies where used to produce replica ones made & marked Dixon in the 70s as where other Original Dies like the .gunstock. & others . The quality is far better than the Italian ,( But even they serve as useful priming flasks). From memory they also bear 'Colts Patent' or some such per original. The top of it is secured by steel screws & the lever is brass not pot metal. Just looked at mine its has Colts patent' but the charger isn't stamped but I bought it from Dixons , They made the' Stand of arms' too if I recall correctly .
Rudyard

These two repros were obtained new in the 1960s. There are differences compared with the one pictured. Old repro, maybe?
DSC00422.jpg

The eagle flask is interesting. I'm not sure I've see an eagle flash like that before. I still think it is probably a repro as others have stated.

If anyone wants a little reproduction flask like the reproduction eagle flask pictured in the original post they are available new from Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf and other retailers.

The little eagle flasks do not hold much powder but are nice with the small caliber guns.

Years ago I drilled out the thick spout of one to gain a tiny bit more powder with each throw into the spout.

Screw off top nice. Dixons dies note the Balls more numerous & the' Colts Patent '. Though what of the flask he ever' Patented' is questionable probably just for US cased revolvers perhaps . The' Bag' flasks would be in London cased revolvers .
Rudyard

There is a HUGE difference between the OP flask and TFoley's flask -- my vote is that the OP's flask is a repo ;)

I agree -- - repro, but old. This type of flask is called a "common top" -- - the shutter is exposed. The "Patent Top" flasks have the shutter operating inside the screw-off top -- - i.e., between TWO brass sheets, therefore less likely to admit a spark when charging the barrel / cylinder.

The majority of British cased Colts came with a "small bag flask" -- oval in cross-section, no embossing to the sides. (See Sutherland & Wilson, page 134) Some of the Dixon-made flasks have the legend "Colt's Navy Flask" engraved on the top of the shutter. Others do not, as Von Offen would not pay the extra for the engraving. The spouts are normally calibrated in DRAMS*** -- e.g., 3/8 4/8 5/8 being for a British 54bore (ca. .44") revolver or for the .36 Colt which took a heavier charge -- the 80bore (ca. 36cal) British revolvers normally had chargers for 2/8 3/8 4/8
VERY occasionally one finds this flask with W (broadarrow) D engraved on the top --- I bought one last week ;-) -- these being for War Department issued arms, most of which went to the Navy for use in the Crimea.

*** Strictly-speaking there are 7000 grains to a pound weight, so an "ounce" was 437.5 grains and 1/16 of that was 27.34 grains.

Dear Jim. Brilliant summary. I have a small 'Ball' flask Similar to Rilings 464 with a broad arrow & W D engraved on the collar, flash proof top. I surmised it was a case of Govt wanted flasks to go to the Crimea but Dixons couldn't produce enough in time, So they took what they had to make up the shipping . I've seen other examples. The charger gives 6/8s ,5/8s & 4/8s increments . Nice to get confirmation .
Regards Rudyard

Back