• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Quick Load Accuratizer (QLA)....can you load patched round ball without issue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the pillow ticking. Young girl had no clue but an older clerk immediately asked "muzzleloading?" :) Apparently guys come in there for it "every so often."
I’ve been searching for 9# 25% cotton onionskin for paper patched bullets, on one site they described their paper with the note that ”it’s even used as wadding in Muzzleloading rifles!”

I’ve been searching for 9# 25% cotton onionskin for paper patched bullets, on one site they described their paper with the note that ”it’s even used as wadding in Muzzleloading rifles!”
I lucked into my paper supply. Inherited my grandmother’s non-functioning 1948 Kenmore sewing machine no one wanted. Included with the various vintage material and sewing supplies were two full reams of 100% cotton 9# onion skin typewriter paper, my ‘lifetime supply’ of paper patching material. About $100 a ream last time i checked, if you could find it.

I lucked into my paper supply. Inherited my grandmother’s non-functioning 1948 Kenmore sewing machine no one wanted. Included with the various vintage material and sewing supplies were two full reams of 100% cotton 9# onion skin typewriter paper, my ‘lifetime supply’ of paper patching material. About $100 a ream last time i checked, if you could find it.
Yes, I’m almost through the 25 sheets I bought from BACO, and the real deal is pricey indeed. Who’d have thought there would e people selling “vintage” paper?

Ran by Joann's Fabric again today. The material I bought is marked "100% cotton." 😍

I'll clean the Elite's barrel and give her a go when I get a break.

Tomorrow I'll be up on a roof, looking at a window-mounted AC.

To be sure it is 100% cotton, take a small piece of that patching and burn it. If there is any plastic in it, there will be little hard balls in the ashes. Cotton ash is uniformly grey after it burns completely.

Ran by Joann's Fabric again today. The material I bought is marked "100% cotton."
Came into some ‘100% cotton’ from WallyWorld and did a burn test that indicated it had something other than cotton in it - little hard black nodules after burning. No idea how much contamination is allowed in 100% cotton, but the stuff I tested from WallyWorld was NOT 100% cotton based on the test I performed. How to Do a Fabric Burn Test to Identify Fibers

Don’t know country of origin of Joann’s Fabrics 100% cotton, but I attempt to buy US made cotton. Suppliers that used to sourced their material from US manufacturers are changing to China or other countries that are not the preferred industry source for cotton everyday. Sometimes you just have to order/buy some and test it. https://cottonusa.org/uploads/documents/WhitePaper_BMAR_ENG.pdf

When lubing your patch with the Bore Butter you don't need a lot on the patch. Just enough to coat it. To much can change accuracy as I found out while on the range. Thought I needed more, my accuracy decreased when I did. You need just enough to keep burn though on the patch and enough so it loads easily. Many here use saliva to moisten patches to shoot at the range. You can make them to wet doing that also, or at least I have. Powder charge got damp. The more you play the more you learn on what works best for your rifle. To say this site has a WEALTH of knowledge, is a major understatement. DANNY

Thanks a ton guys! Is TC Bore Butter good for lubing patches?
I highly reccommend "mink oil" from Track of The Wolf- 4 hunting, or if your target practicing get you some Ox-Yoke Competition patch lube from OxYoke.com. I keep my wet patches inside an old plastic film container. I can literally shoot all day without any fouling build up nor need to wipe between shots. The tight ball/patch wet combo pushes the fouling down on top of the next charge. And cleaning the rifle afterwards is a breeze.

I highly reccommend "mink oil" from Track of The Wolf- 4 hunting, or if your target practicing get you some Ox-Yoke Competition patch lube from OxYoke.com. I keep my wet patches inside an old plastic film container. I can literally shoot all day without any fouling build up nor need to wipe between shots. The tight ball/patch wet combo pushes the fouling down on top of the next charge. And cleaning the rifle afterwards is a breeze.

Looks like oxyoke.come is out of business. Website down?

Last edited:

Looks like oxyoke.come is out of business. Website down?
Try the RMC site. They carry Ox-yoke products.

To be sure it is 100% cotton, take a small piece of that patching and burn it. If there is any plastic in it, there will be little hard balls in the ashes. Cotton ash is uniformly grey after it burns completely.

Did the "burn test." No chemical smell, just grey ashes left behind. I think the material is cotton.

Latest posts

Back