• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bess mess makin' me scratch my head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a used Pedersoli Bess from a member here with the caveat it had a weird trigger modification. It certainly was weird -- a mutant non-Bess trigger that was at such an angle that the original owner cut a hole in the Bess triggerguard so the trigger could be pulled. Well, that had to go so I ordered a new Pedersoli Bess guard from VTI Gun Parts for 89 bucks and installed it and a new Bess trigger. All beautiful -- EXCEPT that the hole in the guard tang for the screw that grabs the wrist escutcheon does not line up. It is not off by much -- but by enough to screw up the works. I opened up the hole in the wrist, but the screw is at the wrong angle to engage the threads in the back side of the escutcheon. I can think of two possible solutions: Cut the threaded "cup" off the back of the escutcheon and try to solder it on in the right place; or just glue the escutcheon onto the wrist and glue in the shortened screw as well. Any other ideas. Maybe you can sort of see what I am talking about. It's a good Bess and deserves to be used.
fullsizeoutput_1556 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_1557 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Hi Bill,
That has to be the most bizarre and unnecessary trigger/trigger guard solution I've ever seen. If I had to fix this, I would install the new guard and then drill through the hole into the back of the thumb plate boss with a larger drill. It might take a 12-24 or better 12-28 bolt. A 10-32 might be too small. Anyway drill a new hole in the boss and thread it for a new bolt using a bottoming tap. I would also fill any slop in the hole through the wrist with epoxy. Coat the bolt, under side of thumb plate and trigger guard with paste wax. Put epoxy in the hole and assemble the guard and plate. Scrape away any excess epoxy that oozes out and let dry. If the bolt or any parts won't release easily, heat them with a heat gun. That is probably how I would resolve the issue, however, just gluing the thumbplate in place and using a wood screw in the guard would work as well. What is with the checkering?

dave

Drill the hole in the escutcheon out and put some of that JB Weld glue that you can thread in in the hole. Put release agent on an unthreaded screw or undersize rod and push it in and assemble the parts. When it all sets up, pull the bolt and cut new threads. It all should line up then.

I would try to cut the threaded cup off the escutchen and solder it in the correct place. That to me seems like the simplest solution.

Thanks fellas. All interesting approaches. Have to think on it some more. Dave, the thumb plate boss is off the full width of the bolt; there is no drilling into it from the existing hole on the trigger guard as the bit would either miss or just kiss the forward edge. Thinking of putting a blob of JB or Acraglas in there and then drilling into that.

Thanks fellas. All interesting approaches. Have to think on it some more
Think Simple.
You've already got eighty-some-odd bucks and a spare guard with a hole in the bow....

So insert a screw inside the stock via a hole where the tang for the trigger guard will cover the hole for that bolt...
And use a wood screw with a proper shaped head where the bolt for the escutcheon should go through to the escutcheon...

Not the "correct" fix, but it's not a Rifle Shoppe kit, so it isn't really that "correct". IIRC that's how the Jap Bess does it.

LD

I like simple! If it were my Bess, I would make sure the wrist escutcheon is fixed with glue or epoxy. Then, plug the hole in the wrist with wood and just put in a wood screw. I really think the original screw to escutcheon was overkill. JMO
Flintlocklar🇺🇸

Larry, not complaining as to your fix, as all mentioned there take on it and would work that way. But there had to be a reason the originals were fastened through the guard and wrist to the thumb plate. I do not use the military weapons of this period but have extensive experiences with the repo. civil war guns, All military style weapons present and past see some pretty hard use. Wonder if it had to do with strengthening that area with the guard bolt or screw through the wrist to the thumb plate. Just thinking.

Tracks's bess guard uses pins, not screws. If that is HC and the guard is a suitable size I would use that. Send back the guard with the screw hole?

Tracks's bess guard uses pins, not screws. If that is HC and the guard is a suitable size I would use that. Send back the guard with the screw hole?
Scot,
The trigger guards on Brown Bess muskets are held in place by a pin in front of the trigger, a pin near the rear of the extension and then a bolt just behind the trigger guard bow that goes through the wrist and screws into the back of the thumb piece. The Pedersoli guard is correct. One solution to Bill's problem could be to use a guard from TOW or the Rifle Shop [Phil Ackermann (www.ackermannarms.com) usually has some TRS guards on hand] which do not have the hole drilled. However, the gamble would be if they fit the mortice accurately.

dave

REMEMBER-KISS, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! for those of you who were in the service.

Bill, how is the trigger guard coming along, I am curious as to the method you chose to use and how it worked out, please keep us informed. May look for a used bess one day as a project and you never know what might need re-done on one.

The glue ideal is fine but what happens when it falls off after a while, hope you can find another just like the original to fit the relief in the stock, I have never been a quick fix type of person especially with weapons, but it is not my weapon so I hope you have good luck with it. As stated please keep us informed on the progress.

OK. I shortened the screw that normally goes through the trigger guard, coated it and the back side of the escutcheon with release agent, and poured in some AcraGlas. It will all dwell beneath the trigger guard, and the hole in the trigger guard (the new one, not that hideous mutant that came with the thing) will be fitted with a wood screw, as Dave suggested above. This is not a museum replica. It is a modified, partially checkered "user" Pedersoli Bess that I will be finding a new home for shortly. Go ahead, throw bricks and I will attempt to dodge them.

Back