• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New .50 flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
She isn't signed, so no clue as to maker. However he was, surely knew what he was about!
A very nice piece of darkly stained maple. There's some quilting, fiddleback and widespread border throughout.
Single trigger, 36 inch ball barrel ( not marked as to manufacturer) Siler lock and German silver furniture. Maybe weighs 7 1/2-8 pounds. Balances very nicely and the shallow crescent buttplate isn't gonna bit off the bench.
Been at my favorite den of iniquity ( gun shop) for almost a year. Asking was $1159. Got her for $900 o.t.d.
There were some crusties in the last inch of the bore ( bottom). Hopefully a non issue. Vent liner is not removable. That will change though. The fit and finish are really first rate.
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20200721_141628.jpg
    20200721_141628.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200721_141611.jpg
    20200721_141611.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200721_141553.jpg
    20200721_141553.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 20200721_141532.jpg
    20200721_141532.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 211
Keep us updated on this. What is the caliber and twist?

I want to go shooting this week......have to be early in the morning to dodge the heat.

Thanks all.
The builder sure had an eye for stock wood. I love bird's eye maple, but its difficult to work. It loves to chunk out.
Didn't have time to get the particulars on the barrel, before I went to work, except to get the cleaning process started. I can say she's a ball twist .50 caliber. Looks like at least a 1-60.
I wasn't looking to buy this one. Frankly, I was looking for a fast firing breechloader, seeing how folk are getting down right impolite lately... But this girl called my NAME. Had to rescue her...

I think you did alright. Nicely done. Send us a range report when able.

The barrel is swamped. But not drastically so. 1-72 twist, best as I can tell. Makes 1/2 a turn in the 36 inch barrel.
Can't wait to shoot her!

That rifle is a beauty! The wood is spectacular, and the German silver mountings are an unusual but attractive choice. That inlay combination on the buttstock in lieu of a patchbox is distinctive. I've seen rifles with inlay in that position before, but yours is the most artistically done that I remember seeing.

I'll say you did well. The rifle looks great and it should be a delight to carry and shoot offhand. And the price? I don't think you could find a builder to duplicate that rifle for under $2200.00 - $2500.00.

You did all right, brother!

Notchy Bob

Blush... Thanks Bob
She is taking some figgerin out.
I took her out, just to get acquainted, with some .490s, .015 patches ore lubed with Ox Yokes version of bore butter and 2f Swiss. Tried 70, 80, and 90 grains.
Was not impressed. Now in fairness, I'm not the best with a flinter, and its been awhile since I played with one. The meager skills I have are quite perishable...
Anyway. I got some proper size agates, much better spark, and went to my favorite charge of 70 gr of 3f Swiss.
Same .490/.015 combo and I use a patch as an overpowder wad.
I also polished the crown to stop her cutting patches. Need a little more work there.
First 3 at 50 were 1 1/2. Not terrible.
Next 3 were 2 9/16. Ugh. But 2 of them were in nearly the same hole. Dropped the 3rd round.
The last 3 were 3 inches. Ugly. But 2 of them were, again, darn near the same hole! Dropped the 3rd shot.
Recoil is quite mild and this girl refuses to bite off the bench.
I think I need to open the vent just a wee bit. I can barely make out the CLACK of the frizzen.
I think we're on our way to something good here. Got to be ready come December's flintlock season.
Seriously, what kind of Pennsylvania muzzleloader DOESN'T shoot a flintlock?
I shoot anything with a rammer. But the flintlock has always vexed me...

Half or more of the fun of a new rifle is all the tweaking it takes to get it shooting well. A friend of mine
loves to trade guns. He bought a rifle, took it to the range and the first load he tried was perfect. The rifle was near minute of angle. He sold it the net day, said it was the most boring gun he ever owned.

Back