• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR change in supplier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read here a couple of months ago that Lyman was going to stop using Investarms to manufacture the GPR . I was wondering if there is any news on this because I would like to get a GPR Flinter Kit when they become available. My current GPR percussion gun is very reliable but I am going to do a face lift on her after huntin season to improve the lines of the stock.

The Jambuster
Black Powder and Hot Lead .... Now that's a cocktail !!!!!

What I remember reading here is Lyman was going to have a "special" run of GPR's put together by Pedersoli. Seems price was in the $1,000 range.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloader.com/threads/new...

Lyman™ Great Plains Rifle Signature Series - .54 Caliber Flintlock - 6034003

The Lyman Great Plains Rifle Signature Series Muzzleloader is the latest iteration in the Great Plains line of rifles. Many of the standard design features of the Great Plains Rifles will be carried forward in the Signature Series, which is made in cooperation with Davide Pedersoli of Italy.

Be the first to review this product
OUT OF STOCK

SKU
$949.00

This topic was discussed on this very forum a couple of weeks ago. Look or search in the "Percussion Rifles" section for a thread entitled Lyman Great Plains Signature Series. As of right now (11:55 am EDT on July 21st), it is on page 3 of this section. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link with the device I'm using.

I haven't seen an official press release, though.

One interesting feature of the Signature series is that the rifles have a 1:48 "compromise" twist. I have not owned a Great Plains Rifle, but I think the standard version had a "roundball" twist of 1:60" (?), while the GPR Hunter was (I think) 1:28", expressly for conicals.

You'll have to trap a few more beaver to take home one of the Signature rifles, too... They are priced at well over $900.00.

Notchy Bob

Personally, I think the current pricing of the GPR has outrun it's value. The signature is going to have to be very special to pull $950. At least that's what my wallet says!
The .54 GPR I had for years was a great rifle for what I paid. But I wouldn't pay that. $950 US converted to CDN + importing and tax? Ouch no way

For that price, you might as well go with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, but I guess it would be another option.

Yep, for $50 more you can get a Rocky Mountain and they are in stock. If you skip a couple of Big Macs, you can get a Rocky in maple.

I'd bet the gun is just the Pedersoli Rocky Mountian walnut version. That's why the price has increased $300.

For that much money, I would MUCH rather buy a Kibler kit. No brainer...

NO doubt. American made parts, Jim’s WONDERFUL CNC’d precision locks, trigger, and components, an American-made barrel, the list goes on. Yes you have to build it but they’re very straightforward.

The Italians are really starting to price themselves out of the ballpark over here.

Personally, I think the current pricing of the GPR has outrun it's value. The signature is going to have to be very special to pull $950. At least that's what my wallet says!
I agree. I got mine 15 years ago from Midsouth Shooters Supply for $350.00. I’m sure glad that I did, based on the prices that I have seen them going for, now. It is an excellent, reliable shooter, but out of my ”range” (no pun intended) if I was starting fresh, today.

I have not handled or even seen one. There appears to be only the one dealer online handling these right now, and they show most of the GPR Signature rifles as out of stock. I looked at their website last night, and it appears the information I thought I had was incomplete. The .50 caliber percussion model I had looked at previously had a 1:48" twist, but I found the .54 caliber models (at least the flintlock) have a 1:65" twist. Also, the little thumbnail images they have appear to show a more authentic, more attractive "snail" on the percussion version. That alone would improve the looks of the GPR substantially.

I perused the Lyman website and found nothing at all about these rifles. Seems like they would issue a press release, considering the popularity of the GPR.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

These firearms are made in Italy. The virus has hit them hard. It's thrown a wrench in the gears for a lot of stuff. Probably gonna be awhile before these enhanced GPRs or more of the Investarm GPRs make it to our shores.

I really started this Thread because I have a GPR 54 that I enjoy and it was the most reasonable gun that looked like what it was supposed to be that I could afford at the time I bought it. I am just hoping that LYMAN maintains product line so new guys can get into the hobby and afford it. Also the current Lyman Product has clearly lost some of it's quality over the years and I would like to see that come back. My gun is not nearly as nice as some of the older ones I have seen , but it shoots good and is reliable. Moist important I could afford it.

Latest posts

Back