• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Aging a tin cup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, use it for every meal and evening cocktail. The rubbing of washing it and an occasional dropping will get it to look like it’s old fast. They don’t last for ever so have another standing by.

I should add an explanation. I have one that looks and is old. I want a couple for guests who are not frequent at my camp. Polecat

IF it's really tin, smear it with a thin layer of yellow mustard, and hang it up to dry with a wire through the handle. When the mustard is brown and dry, take a toothbrush to it under some running water to knock off the dried mustard. The vinegar will stain up the tin. Repeat if needed. When done put a teaspoon of baking soda into a bowl of water and rinse off the cup, then dry it and wipe it down with some cooking oil.

LD

If you want a couple to look well used do as suggested in using them and just swap them around for an outing to two. The other side is to keep them pristine for "guests."

I recently bought a "copper" cup for making Moscow Mules in. I wanted a beat up, tarnished copper look with the brass handle. I tried to remove the plastic coasting and the copper came off with it. It turns out that the cup is stainless steel and won't take bluing, plum brown or other etching acid. I heated it with a propane torch and made it look sorta-kinda- like case hardening. But, it looks pretty crappy, so if any one knows how to make stainless steel less stainless, please let me know.

Spend a week in the tall timber following Cruzatte’s advice. Every stew, coffee/tea, hasty pudding done on the same cup, then hung on your belt while you hike. It will have all the color you want.
I love that idea .. but I am 88 years old, have had two heart surgeries. Yes, I do still shoot and camp [and build] but I don't go far and seldom alone. Oh well … youth has some benefits. I wish I could do that. Polecat

Hmmmm? My grand kids and greats are all over the country and we don't get to see them often... but yeah, I could ruin that steel ball as a kid also. I just gave one of my neighbors a pistol I made … maybe he will replace me as a BP addict. I would love to think I helped a few get started. Polecat

I love that idea .. but I am 88 years old, have had two heart surgeries. Yes, I do still shoot and camp [and build] but I don't go far and seldom alone. Oh well … youth has some benefits. I wish I could do that. Polecat
Age hunts us all I’m not that far behind you
If you can light a barbecue that as works well.

To rapidly age a tin cup, loan it to your brother-in-law for 4 months. In that short amount of time the cup will age 100 years.
Warning. Do not allow him to have it for over 6 months or it won't be worth having. That additional 2 months in his possession will easily age the cup over 300 years.

When I go a visiting I bring my own cup ,you never know what might get poured in it. I run with some pretty rough guys, aah just kidding they are great guys but it still holds true about the pouring, when the jug comes out just drink it and smile.

Soaking in vinegar might work, but I have been using vinegar fumes for a while and it works better.
It seems that, while vinegar is about 5% acidity vinegar fumes are a much higher % and will corrode or oxidize metals much faster and with a different patina.
I use it for brass and iron. Brass left overnight in a plastic bag or bucket with a wad of paper towel or newspaper soaked in vinegar will patina nicely. If you use bare iron or steel it will oxidize much faster and you might want to check after an hour. I don't know how it will work on tin, but on a zinc plated C clamp it works great.

Back