• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pigeons, barley and a muzzleloader.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot a half-dozen of the US variety one day after duck hunting. I cooked them like doves but they were tough and stringy. Must have been older birds. One had a homemade band on his leg so I figured some pigeon fancier was angry with me.

You're doing a service and having fun at the same time, Nate. I always favored bobwhite quail over dove but it got to where there just weren't that may coveys around. Quail, a "gentleman's sport" has become something of an industry on managed private property. At least that's the way it was in Georgia.

hanshi around here years ago it was rare if hunting rabbits you did not jump a covey or 3 no so any more, I hunt quail every year usually Jan. or February with a few of my friends as you stated this is a preserve hunt, It is still a good time and I enjoy watching the dogs as much as the hunting. As to the gentleman's sport great bunch of guys and a good time lets leave it at that.

Britsmoothy, A question what are the requirements for you to get a hunting permit (license)- Here you are required to attend a hunters safety course if born after a certain date. And a lot of states require you to have completed a hunters safety course regardless of age. I have took these courses with my son when he started hunting but was not required too (old fart) but am glad I did as last year we went to Wyoming to hunt Antelope and it was required, also when I hunted bear in Ontario Canada a hunters safety course was a requirement. Just curious

Britsmoothy, A question what are the requirements for you to get a hunting permit (license)- Here you are required to attend a hunters safety course if born after a certain date. And a lot of states require you to have completed a hunters safety course regardless of age. I have took these courses with my son when he started hunting but was not required too (old fart) but am glad I did as last year we went to Wyoming to hunt Antelope and it was required, also when I hunted bear in Ontario Canada a hunters safety course was a requirement. Just curious
No licences required (other than shotgun or firearms licence).
Some land owners of forestry or managers of require tests/ qualifications for deer hunting.
Other than close seasons on some species it's go hunt.
Actually pretty much all wildlife is protected by law from cruelty etc.
Some species come under the ' general licence' arrangement. The home office regulates pest species to allow their destruction under certain circumstances. Wood pigeon is one of the birds on the 'general license'.

Our fish and game depts. both state and federal set limits and seasons on each species to be hunted. If born after a certain date you must have passed a hunters education course, You need a state hunting license and a muzzle loader attachment if you want to pursue deer with a muzzle loader, a special draw is conducted for a permit to hunt black bear in Maryland's western counties also. Written permission is needed to hunt on another's property, Hunter orange is required unless hunting water fowl, doves or turkeys. There are closed seasons on certain species and restricted harvest regulations on others Canadian geese, ducks are especially highly regulated by state and federal regulations. As you cruelty is un-acceptable and rightly needs to be so. In Maryland you are required to have a handgun qualification license in order to purchase what is termed a regulated weapon, hand guns ( not the black powder revolvers or single shots) and semi auto sporting weapons (AR type platform weapons) This requires state mandated training and certifications, muzzle loaders are not effected bye any of this that's why I like the rock crushers. I hope Zonie does not jump up and down on this as it should be viewed as educational to know what others face in our endeavor's with the muzzle loading weapons and the hunting we do with them. Thanks for your reply.

As a side note it would be interesting to hear from the other states and countries members as to their regulation's on these issues. And how it relates to muzzle loading hunting.

Canada is different by each province, then micro regulated by unit/zone/etc within each province. Here in Alberta there is no special muzzleloader season. There is a special “primitive weapons” area but is muzzleloader/shotgun/archery only. That means any bow/shotgun or muzzleloader. To hunt as we on this forum choose is a choice under the general firearms season. You are out there with all other firearms guys. Orange is not required and most wear camo or plaid.
A license is required for any non-restricted firearm (long winded definition but essentially the conventional shotgun/rifle), including caplock muzzleloaders. ALL handguns are restricted at minimum, some are prohibited. Flintlock long guns are not regulated by license requirements but must still follow all other laws regarding any firearm.
Walk

We also have limit restrictions , zones on deer hunting some zones are more liberal than others. As with other states they all have different rules. I find it interesting for you with handguns ( ALL HANDGUNS ARE RESTRICTED AT MINIMUM,SOME ARE PROHIBITED) I mention this because when we were hunting bear in Ontario no hand guns of any type were allowed. Then a few years later we went on vacation to Quebec going through Canadian customs we spent a good 45 mins. answering questions as to if I had a hand gun with me, the questioning really got heavy when I told them what I done for a living at that time. ( retired since then)The customs officer had a recruit with her maybe training on the job who knows. Then there was the time we went the wrong way into a Canadian customs check point on the northern part of Maine every one was excited there. Thanks and good hunting this year.

Ya, them nice little flint or cap muzzleloading pistols you guys chat about are restricted status here. No exceptions at all. Would be nice to have one in the sash on my annual elk hunt. There’s grizzers in our country.
Walk

I carry a RUGER old army when hunting no grizzly's but a few black bears never had a problem though and do not want one. I'm a thinkin if I had Mr. Griz around I would want a more potent side arm. But it is what it is. Good hunting too you.

It's nice to agree with Feltwad & Rudyard on what I know as Quoice or Queslet (local names) Common Woodies. I've shot my fair share over75 years but always worry shooting B/P over DRY corn fields. Wads can smoulder for quite a long time and with a bit of breeze!!! "Stubble burning" is illegal in UK these days due to Our(EU) Carbon emission laws. Better "Game Shooting" bird that most Gamebirds and the eating is good too: Breasted out and casseroled in Scrumpy with tomatoes and mushrooms. Owing to Lockdown with little decoying this year the breeding season has been very productive. I have had 4 pairs bring off 6 clutches so far this year in my garden. Bodes well for the winter shooting.. OLD DOG..

I like hunting our morning doves, and as you stated the wu flu lockdown has been good I think for the wildlife all over. Our dove season will start in September you can only hunt from noon to sun set, later in the evening if you can get near or between a water source and roosting site is great gunning. Fast birds and eye site that is un-believable camo is the name of the game.

Meat loaf is another success to this hunting session.
IMG_20200723_172214037.jpg

B.

Interesting. Never made a meat loaf from game birds. Deer yes, but not doves or pheasant.

Back