• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on older Uberti's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43911

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a never fired 48 year old Uberti, solidified packing lube included.
After cleaning a few details come into view, grips are not covered in high gloss coating (good), case color looks real as apposed to the print on new system (good), fit is great and timing is spot on, bolt drops in cylinder notch with no drag (good), cylinder charge holes are tapered, wedge is set perfect when wedge spring snaps in place, as in the moment it clears the opening and hooks onto the barrel, cylinder gap is 3 thou with no end shake (all good), bluing is very good, the bore is perfect and looks like a mirror BUT it's the shallow type rifling running about 4 or 5 thou, when did they change to deep groove ? , my thoughts are it's a well made gun equal to today's manufacture and in some respects better, it will be good for conical shooting, bore may need cleaning more frequently during range sessions than newer guns. Thoughts

P.S. they put the serial number everywhere, wedge, barrel, back of frame, inside back strap, inside trigger guard, rear face of cylinder, inside grips.

Last edited:
I have a Uberti 1858 that was made in 1975 and it is in excellent shape except for some minor dings on the grips. I purchased it used from a close friend for $50 in 1980. The grip frame feels a bit smaller than the newer made 1858 revolvers. The action feels silky smooth and locks up perfectly. The rifling does look a bit less in depth (0.001" - 0.002") compared to a newer Pietta Colt 1860 that I have.

I just purchased a never fired 48 year old Uberti, solidified packing lube included.
After cleaning a few details come into view, grips are not covered in high gloss coating (good), case color looks real as apposed to the print on new system (good), fit is great and timing is spot on, bolt drops in cylinder notch with no drag (good), cylinder charge holes are tapered, wedge is set perfect when wedge spring snaps in place, as in the moment it clears the opening and hooks onto the barrel, cylinder gap is 3 thou with no end shake (all good), bluing is very good, the bore is perfect and looks like a mirror BUT it's the shallow type rifling running about 4 or 5 thou, when did they change to deep groove ? , my thoughts are it's a well made gun equal to today's manufacture and in some respects better, it will be good for conical shooting, bore may need cleaning more frequently during range sessions than newer guns. Thoughts

P.S. they put the serial number everywhere, wedge, barrel, back of frame, inside back strap, inside trigger guard, rear face of cylinder, inside grips.
Some people have said that older Uberti revolvers could be a hit and miss proposition but mine are all from the 70’s and one from the 60’s and I have to say I’m satisfied with all of them. Great fit and finsh (although some don’t have a lot of finish left) Actions are smooth and well timed. And they’re accurate with full power loads. I fired this group benched at 20 yards from a new to me sheriff’s model 1860 yesterday morning. I was just chronographing the load, 35 grains of Swiss 3f under a .457 round ball so I wasn’t paying much attention to size of the group until the fourth shot went home. Point of aim was the red dot. And the load averages 985fps. I believe I’m gonna like this gun once it’s sighted in.

Attachments

• D687ED8C-02B9-4748-904B-B2350C268EB4.jpeg
    D687ED8C-02B9-4748-904B-B2350C268EB4.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 67
Looks like a keeper for sure Woodnbow, shooting a little high at that range is the norm from many reports here on the forum. If sight height was duplicated from original guns (1851/60 ) then shooting high would be correct as the original zero was 50 yards and some at 75 if I'm not mistaken.
1595305799345.png

Yep, I’ll take the rear sight down a bit and maybe replace the front with a sight from an 1871 Open Top. It’s a bit taller and works well on another of my 1860’s...

purty pistol there!

I have an old 1971 1858 new army that was sold by EMF. I have discovered that Uberti parts work well with slight, very slight modifications. Other parts for Italian revolvers don't even come close.

Yep, I’ll take the rear sight down a bit and maybe replace the front with a sight from an 1871 Open Top. It’s a bit taller and works well on another of my 1860’s...

purty pistol there!

I open the sights, widen the V and take the crown off the front sight as shown by Blackie Thomas; at the same time file the rear of the front sight flat and blue it. I saw where Blackie Thomas checked the muzzle to be square, Wonder how many times that happens.

I have heard that the earlier Uberti's had progressive rifling.

Is that true?

I have a Lyman 1858 made by Uberti and it is more accurate than the current ones I have. Fit and finish is on par with current ones.

I open the sights, widen the V and take the crown off the front sight as shown by Blackie Thomas; at the same time file the rear of the front sight flat and blue it. I saw where Blackie Thomas checked the muzzle to be square, Wonder how many times that happens.
I do something similar as I’m sighting in. Often now I replace the front sight with the 1871 Open Top sight as it’s a bit taller so I don’t need to remove much from the rear sight.

Back