• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How long without cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
len........I stay away from man-made stuff. You only need water to clean and there's way better lubes than something made by the Germans in WW1.

What does everyone think of Ballistol? A good cleaner or just a lubricant?
I use it as both when mixed with water I use it as a cleaner and a lube. Used alone I use it as a lube. It is a very fine oil for guns. Been around since WW2 and that alone tells you it works. One of the huge pluses of Ballistol is it is non toxic and approved on machinery in the food industry that comes in contact with food. Now the aerosol is a different critter! The propellants are not good for yah that is for sure.

Seems like lots of folks use it but isn't the mineral oil (petroleum) a no-no with black powder?

A lot of people do use it, and a lot of people don't. A lot of people use Bore Butter too, which is also a petroleum product and a lot of people also hate bore butter.
Everyone has their own reasons for using what they use, and those reasons are more important than the products themselves, but yes the general rule is petroleum products and black powder don't mix, However it is important to realize that there are thousands of petroleum products and their use finds their way into everything.

A lot of people do use it, and a lot of people don't. A lot of people use Bore Butter too, which is also a petroleum product and a lot of people also hate bore butter.
Everyone has their own reasons for using what they use, and those reasons are more important than the products themselves, but yes the general rule is petroleum products and black powder don't mix, However it is important to realize that there are thousands of petroleum products and their use finds their way into everything.
Sorry, I just have to interject a little anecdote about Bore Butter. When I bought my first long rifle, I was living in Vermont. I'd had lots of folks from the west coast (where I moved from) recommend it as well as folks in Vermont. One sunny winter day after a snow storm it looked like a good day to do some target practice. So I drove to an old quarry that was used by folks in the area I went to use Bore Butter on my patch but couldn't because it was frozen solid (was 11° out). I ended up using the bore butter as a hammer to help mount my targets and had to spit patch for my target practice. It's useless below freezing, so just don't use it.

I switched to Stumpy's Moose snot after getting that recipe here and since about 2004, it's the only thing I've used as a patch lube. Stumpy's Moose snot recipe is still available as a sticky note here on the forum.
Search under "Stumpkiller's Lube Recipes" and you'll find it as the second recipe listed.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

When squirrel hunting,

I second ya Carbon 6, I use black powder and sometimes will not get an afternoon shot, I just plug the vent with a feather and leave Ole Gettum outside if I'm going hunting the next day and he is still loaded. No fear always go hunting the next morning. I do believe you can get too anal about cleanliness to the point of abuse.

Petroleum oils and greases are excellent preservatives. There are few alternatives to petroleum. One is lanolin, which you can get as Fluid Film, I use lots of. The anti-petroleum thing seems to have started from guys using vaseline or motor oil on shooting patches. Apparently it can make a nasty tar type fouling. Non petroleum oils like veg oils and animal fats are poor preservatives. Some guys think they are being HC by using veg oil or fat. They were used long ago before petroleum was available. An exception is sperm whale oil, it is excellent. Refined bear oil is good stuff. You can duplicate sperm oil with ATF. Do not be afraid of petroleum based oils and greases for preserving the bore.

There are few alternatives to petroleum. One is lanolin, which you can get as Fluid Film, I use lots of. The anti-petroleum thing seems to have started from guys using vaseline or motor oil on shooting patches.
Per the Fluid Film MSDS the main ingredient is ‘refined petroleum oil...’ http://www.fluid-film.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SDS_Aerosol.pdf

G96 is also petroleum based per its MSDS. https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/msds/140688_MSDS.pdf

Does anyone read about what’s in the stuff they use any more or just go with what they heard from someone? You know, that guy.

I use bear tallow and bear oil. Never have any rust and I don't have any manure I need to clean from the bore to shoot it again after storage. Patches stay soft in cold weather and the lock and trigger never gum up.

It works. PC or not.

Back