• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ultra sonic cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used one on a pistol, however I have one and do use it to clean BP stuff on occasion. Like my flintlocks lock.

It works well.

Fleener

I know a fella at my club that puts his entire revolver (minus the grips) in his ultra sonic cleaner. He says after about an hour the gun is perfectly clean. He then blow drys and lubes, puts the gips back on and is business again. I have looked at his guns, and there does not appear to be any BP residue left after cleaning.

I would use one if I had one - especially if the gun was very dirty or had more than three revolvers to clean otherwise I find it to be no big deal to sit down with a revolver after a day of shooting and clean it by hand. :thumb: :thumb:;)

Can a ultra sonic cleaner be used to clean a blackpowder revolver
I have no doubt it could be used. I use a small ultrasonic unit for cleaning all sorts of things. Couldn't believe how much gunk came out of my Swiss Army knife. I think it would be great for a lock.

Can a ultra sonic cleaner be used to clean a blackpowder revolver

Works great on carburetors, beware, it turns some metals dark. I have put an absolutely crusty revolver in an ultrasonic one time and for the majority that uses water to clean, yeah, go ahead. I rebuilt a replica 44 last year that was hopeless condition so why not. The only thing I had to replace was the barrel because of pits in the rifling, the works came out all right.

Don’t have one large enough for a complete gun but clean sidelock parts in mine all the time. Plain water or add dish soap/ laundry soap. The Hornady stuff took the coloring off the lock

I have used mine for some years now. It is not large enough for the entire revolvers. I do the cylinder by itself and then all the small parts in a tea strainer so they don't get lost! The barrels I do with rod and patches. I use plain water with a few drops of Dawn. I oil patch everything afterward.

Back