• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who shoots 54 Cal with 3F ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always liked to keep things simple so use 3F for all my rifles from .45 to .54. Not that I don't like to vary the ball size, patch materials and load size it just makes the working up loads more fun. Just never heard a good argument to change to 2F or seen any one shooting better with it. The deer, elk, moose and bears that dropped to those loads never complained either.

you have to actually get outside and burn some powder. every rifle i own likes a different load. when i change 1 thing it changes everything. a good place to start is 13 yards and 1 grain per cal. and work it up

I do. I've always shot a load of FFFg in my .54, although I have experimented some with FFg. I tried FFg again last week and was mostly satisfied with the groups, but thought my FFFg groups were better, so I shot again today with FFFg. My recollection was right, my .54 likes FFFg better.View attachment 36802

View attachment 36803
(SHOWOFF)
Nice shootin'

i have always used 2F in 54 and above. but I see a lot of fellers who shoots 3F in 54? and how much? i know every rifle is different and you just have to try combos, but is it basically as accurate or more accurate as 2F? just curious, i might give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,
Like most here, I use 70-75gr of 3f - in main charge and primer pan, with roundball - .535 ball with .010 patch (recommended by Pedersoli) and get great groups at the range and dead deer on the range.

I use 3f for hunting loads in my CVA .58 in the rainy cold weather because of the better ignition success over 2f.

well I went outside to my range at home yesterday in 94 degree heat with 100% humidity and shot a 5 shot group with my 54 southern mountain rifle. I used plain old 3F goex, 75gr. of it. 50yds off the bench I shot one large hole group at 50 yds. off the bench. I like it, it is a little tighter than my groups with 2F ol eynsford. what surprised me was the clean up of the gun. it cleaned 5 times quicker than with 2F i am going to do more experiments with 3F ol eynsford and 3F swiss although I am not a swiss fan because after 6 or 8 shots a hard ring develops towards the chamber if you don't swab after each shot.

In my rifles calibers .36, .40, 50, .54 I use 3F -- in my civil war .58 caliber rifled muskets, 20, 12, & 10 gauge shotguns I use 2F seems to work just fine for me.;):thumb:😁

Not only a .54cal. with FFFg (currently Goes), but also a 20ga. smoothbore trade gun. However, I reduce charges by at least 10% compared to FFg in both guns. Also, recoil is more pronounced, but hardly painful. Accuracy is the same though in both the rifle and trade gun (using patched RB's).

Back