• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal small game hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, every trip to Colorado we always see tracks everywhere in the snow. Don’t know that I have ever seen a live one.

Seeing snowshoe hares can be challenging. You can look right at them and not realize it. I've learned a lot through trial and error over the years hunting both snowshoe hares and cottontails. I wrote an article that was published in the Mar/Apr '20 issue of The Backwoodsman magazine with tips on hunting them.

At the same time I submitted that article (August 2019), I submitted a second article on hunting small game with big bore muzzleloaders. I pointed out the benefits of the added woods time with your "big game" rifle among other things. So far that article has not been published.

Here's a snowshoe I recently hunted with a camera.

Tomahawk Outing to Summer Camp with Kelton 316.JPG

I just saw The Backwoodsman on the magazine rack at the grocery store last week. Been a while since I had seen it. Subscribed at one time, but it never had enough of the stuff I was interested in for me to stay with it.

Now I am hungry for rabbit...

I just saw The Backwoodsman on the magazine rack at the grocery store last week. Been a while since I had seen it. Subscribed at one time, but it never had enough of the stuff I was interested in for me to stay with it.

Now I am hungry for rabbit...

On another forum several members were discussing how the magazine has gone downhill over the years. One member challenged us to submit articles in an attempt to improve its content. So far I have not been impressed with how the magazine operates.

I submitted two articles in August 2019. I never received a reply from them (nor did any of the other contributors that accepted the challenge). So far one of my submissions has been printed, as I mentioned above, in the Mar/Apr 2020 issue. According to their submission guidelines they will give you a subscription if they print your article.

To this day they have not contacted me. I really don't care about the subscription. I'm just disappointed in their absolute lack of communication. If I ever decide to write another article The Backwoodsman would be the last magazine I would submit it to.

Sorry for the rant.

Latest posts

Back