• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Lancaster patch box patterns/shapes??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am close to making a brass patch box for an Early Lancaster Flintlock currently in the works. I am not an engraver, so I am looking for something simple that would be appropriate, but can exclude engraving. I have books with Early Lancaster PBs, but am at a standstill at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. No, I am not going to forget a patchbox and no I am not going to have someone else engrave it.
Thanks in advance
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Of course a wooden patchbox would be easy and nice and not require engraving. I know of 2 Lancaster guns with un-engraved daisy patchboxes. One is in Kindig’s book. The other is one George Shumway highlighted in a Muzzle Blasts article in the 1980s. So it was done.

Rich is quite correct and a wooden patch box for an early Lancaster would be appropriate. Getting the sliding dovetail isn't all that simple, but it is doable.
Ha Ha Ha, already thought of that little stickler. Never done it before, but no hill for an old climber. I really think I can do a dovetail way better than I can try to do engraving.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Engraving is basically incise carving in metal, except the figures are smaller. The major difference is that generally, you HAVE to use a hammer rather than push engrave, and sharpening your gravers is that much more important.

"Essential tremors" cause my hands to shake when I try to thread needles, write or any other detailed activity. I wanted to engrave my PBs but it's not possible. I hate it but that's just the way things turned out.

I suffer from them too. My cursive hand writing isn't what it used to be, (along with other things related to them). With engraving the point is stuck in the metal, sort of like using a mallet with wood gouges. I find that so long as the heel of my hand is grounded, the "shakes" aren't as bad. One handed handgun shooting however makes the muzzle wiggle all over the place.

"Essential tremors" cause my hands to shake when I try to thread needles, write or any other detailed activity. I wanted to engrave my PBs but it's not possible. I hate it but that's just the way things turned out.
I feel your pain. Some time back I was whining about my tremors getting too severe to shoot pistol. A gentleman here suggested I try vitamin B-2 as it was suggested to him from his VA doctor. I have been using it for about four months now and it has been a great help. I am not tremor free but the improvement is rather astounding. I hope it might help you.

Back