• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Midway

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my first pound of powder 50 years ago it was 89% of my hourly rate. When I retired it was 75% of my hourly rate so it has actually gone down in price.

at 20 bucks a pound, it's still well over my hourly rate.

You guys forget that Grafs automatically adds in the shipping and hazmat. Even with FREE shipping, Midway is $106.95 for 4 lbs. While 4 lbs. of Grafs brand is $88.81

In my Midway shopping cart right now is ten pounds of Goex. Shipping and Haz Mat (like they handle it any differently) make it $216.34

In my Graf shopping cart, 10 pounds of Goex 3f. Same thing. Shipping and HazMat total $222.35 Six bucks and a penny more.

For the Graf brand Goex made powder, ten pounds would be $188.35 If the Graf brand Goex made powder is good stuff, and there's no reason it shouldn't be, that's a considerable savings.

Matter of fact, I think I'm gonna order some.... Now, if only anybody had any dang percussion caps in stock...

My numbers were with the midway hazmat fee already applied... and midway was clearly the cheaper option of the two. So idk what to tell you about your math being wrong. Maybe you live a lot farther away from midway than grafs or something, and you arnt getting free shipping from midway?

Cuz at the checkout, final step before confirmation, midway is absolutely cheaper than grafs

Ok, photograph evidence here. Pound for pound, midway is only a couple cents behind. But you cant even order that small amount from grafs... so...
20200707_151502.jpg
20200707_151449.jpg

MINIMUM grafs order, versus minimum midway order eligible for free shipping, midway wins.

20200707_151423.jpg
20200707_151436.jpg

And hey maybe im wrong about this, but what are the chances that Goex is gonna make, and package, a brand BESIDES Goex, that grafs can sell for what, 3 or 4, dollars a pound cheaper than the Goex brand packages, thats gonna be the same quality? Seems completely illogical. Goex making something that takes away from their own name recognition, that meets their own name brand products quality, that they sell for less money? Thats a losing deal in business. So, while i dont KNOW, i would wager that grafs brand powder simply MUST be lower quality or have lower quality control standards. Mcdonalds isnt gonna start selling big macs in a burger king wrapper for half price, unless thats the worst burger king brand big mac in the world. Id assume the same goes for powders. But even then, if you wanted the grafs brand powder.... STILL costs more than Goex from midway....
20200707_152650.jpg

Ok, photograph evidence here. Pound for pound, midway is only a couple cents behind. But you cant even order that small amount from grafs... so...View attachment 36215View attachment 36216

MINIMUM grafs order, versus minimum midway order eligible for free shipping, midway wins.

View attachment 36217View attachment 36218

And hey maybe im wrong about this, but what are the chances that Goex is gonna make, and package, a brand BESIDES Goex, that grafs can sell for what, 3 or 4, dollars a pound cheaper than the Goex brand packages, thats gonna be the same quality? Seems completely illogical. Goex making something that takes away from their own name recognition, that meets their own name brand products quality, that they sell for less money? Thats a losing deal in business. So, while i dont KNOW, i would wager that grafs brand powder simply MUST be lower quality or have lower quality control standards. Mcdonalds isnt gonna start selling big macs in a burger king wrapper for half price, unless thats the worst burger king brand big mac in the world. Id assume the same goes for powders. But even then, if you wanted the grafs brand powder.... STILL costs more than Goex from midway....View attachment 36219
Sounds like 4 lbs. at Grafs is still cheaper than 3 at Midway. And FYI, I have both Goex and Grafs/Goex and can't tell the difference.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $42 for one pound of gunpowder... :D

Also, if I was having to pay shipping and the BS hazmat fee, I wouldn't bother ordering only a few pounds. I'd get as much as I could possibly afford at one time.

If I had a free shipping code from Midway, then that saves 12 or 14 or whatever dollars. I'd go for it. If either of them happened to have had CCI 11 caps, I'd have gone with them, since I'm just not paying a haz mat fee just for them silly little things. :p

I just bought 10 pounds of Graf powder. We'll see how it does.

Personally, I would not expect it to be any different than regular Goex. For them to specifically make a lower grade of powder would require them to set up different production lines... which would cost them money (assuming they even had the capacity to produce an entirely different grade of powder). I would expect that, because Graf's is such a huge distributor, that Goex made a deal to make their "house brand" for them. I see pricing differences all the time for the exact same item, but with different labels. A manufacturer may make an item and sell it under their own name for a certain price, but they contract with another company, and they sell them with their name brand on it for another price. It may be higher or lower, depending on the name, and the deal the manufacturer got. To use a modern example (without saying what it is, because it's stuff for the dreaded modern guns), a certain item is made by a certain company and sells for about $25. The exact same item, made under contract for another company, and with their brand on it, sells for only $17. Another very similar item made by a different company sells for about $21, yet the exact same item, when sold with the brand name of another company, actually costs more at $29.

I don't know for certain, but again, I would expect that this is the same type of situation with the Graf gunpowder.

Stophel has the right idea. I would bet the store brand in a grocery store comes from the same vat as the name brand. It is and old observation, but my first job out of college was in a automotive exhaust aftermarket manufacturing facility. We made the company brand, a major aftermarket (NAPA) brand products and the so called plain label products. The only difference was the label. In my three years there we only once made a product for a major mail-order/department store company that was a "cheapie". That was as a loss leader to get folks into their automotive repair shops. It just doesn't make sense to change over a major production line for a run.

I bought 5 lbs. of graf 3f, delivered at $110.97. I haven't shopped around like a lot of people do as I use grafs for a lot of powder and brass and bullets for the unmentionables. I shoot some weird calibers and they have the odd bullets.

I just ordered FFF and FFFF from Midway and received it in less than a week, not bad at all.

I should eventually try another seller, but I really like to support Midway. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. Good company.

Grafs brand powder made by Goex= $16.59. $9.95 flat rate shipping and $12.50 hazmat vs Midway Goex $18.99. $11.52 shipping and $11.99 hazmat
Powder inc - get 5 pounds for about $25 a pound including hazmat

Back