• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Latest stupidity from the other side of the pond.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HomeGunsAmmunition
How to store shotgun cartridges legally and safely
Sporting Gun
Sporting Gun April 17, 2020

"How many shotgun cartridges can you store at home?
We asked Charles Bull of Just Cartridges who replied: ” It depends on the weight or load of the cartridge as it relates to the Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) but in broad terms, under a normal shotgun certificate, an individual can store up to about 10,000 cartridges. After about 10,000 you would need an Explosives Licence from the police to store more.”
See Feltwads reply. I was still looking for the details, but he’s already got it covered

Yes you are correct if you also have nitro shotgun cartridges and you also shoot black powder the the total amount of primers black and nitro powder in bulk powder caps etc which includes the powder in shotgun cartridges must not exceed the 15 kilos The only difference is you can buy shotgun cartridges over the counter with a shotgun certificate but with black powder you need a a BP certificate plus a shotgun certificate or firearms certificate
Feltwad
Thank you Feltwad. I was still looking up the info

The latest idiocy from this side of the pond is the EU are trying to outlaw lead ammunition. The initial removal of lead only applies to shooting over wetlands, however, once this is passed there are moves afoot to extend this to include all shooting even on a range. This will obviously have a small impact on anyone shooting a muzzleloader or even .22LR.

The authorities seem to have given up trying to ban guns, it looks like they will let you keep your guns, it's just the ammo that will be illegal. Sneaky hey? Especially as I very much suspect that this will enable them to avoid having to pay any compensation as you get to keep your guns, But the legislation gets to be hidden in the guise of "environmental" legislation.

Oh and the EU have also pulled a blinder and got the vote to be held during the peak vacation time and there is no option for abstention, so any country that fails to submit a vote gets automatically registered as a yes vote. How's that for democracy?
Brevid ?

While Britain had left the EU, I have a feeling they will follow laws set by the EU when it suits. A friend told me last week that all the powders banned under the Reach ? Laws were now void and that the powders like Bullseye were now freely available again. Hope that’s true. Yes we have an NRA here but not like the American NRA. Yours has teeth, ours has a reasonable attitude looking for fairness. I prefer the American NRA.

-Not directed solely at Erwan-
And here we have one of our own biggest problems, apparently in the UK as well as here in the U.S.
Just an answer for my own case and why I'm writing this ...

It is not a lack of knowledge of the law (very complex in France) or a total disinterest to never use certain products and in this case modern weapons and metal cases and also to have strictly no attraction for these things and to know less well this precise point than that of black powder ... ;)

The law states that sport shooters are allowed to acquire a maximum of 2,000 cartridges per weapon held, per period of 12 months from the date of issue of the authorization valid for five years, within the limit of 1,000 cartridges per weapon.

It is difficult to say how much this represents in powder weight for shooters carrying out their own reloading and whether in this case the stock of powder is strictly limited with regard to the various varieties of powder: the law says nothing about this, apart from the fact that everyone is limited to a total of 2 kg at time T if there is a police check...

As regards the gunsmiths being in town (and always for the black powder) they are limited to five Kg. If the gunsmith is outside the city (commercial zone) and has a bunker and if this bunker is approved he can obtain the right to store fifty Kg of black powder, only enough to serve 25 customers: one cannot buy more than 2Kg of powder per shooter and per purchase and this is registered on a police register (ID card, name and license number)...

Well The current shambles called Government in New Zealand . Seize apon one terrorist killing 51 people with an assualt rifle ( The liscence granted him with No vetting or refferees other than two people he contacted on Emails.) NOT the correct procedure . Police ignored their OWN laws .But in 8 days flat the labourite Dictator forces a ban &' by back 'of such guns & all others inc pea rifles takeing over 10 shots & a raft of anti gun ideas . Allowed the Police to make law as they saw fit not answerable to Parliament and No pro gun bodies where even considered & we had a very able Confederation of Liscence firearms owners & a' Fair & Reasonable' campaign .But these where utterly ignored called Trolls ' The Gun lobby &' Rednecks' & allowed NO input . The media went along with this , demonised shooters wouldn't wait for the Royal Commission Enquiries findings Pushed through a ton of anti gun measures .250,000 liscensed gun owner who broke No laws but are made scapegoat for political Idealists & to make the leader look good no doubt . I own non, Don't like modern stuff but I fought by supporting the rights of shooters .
.Hitler made laws without Parlimentry procedure adding the Gestapo along the way . .Could never happen here ? . Its happened we joined the club of stupid anti gun laws that Australia suffers . Brave New world ? P on it ! .
Rudyard

Nothing to be sorry for this is a much needed discussion that not only affects our European shooters but is a insight of what my come in the U.S. topics such as this are political no matter how they are worded, seems at times the monitoring staff as good as they are pick and choose what they see as a political issue. Your post is a well heeded warning and lets hope it continues to draw opinions, information but most importantly opens up a few eyes in the forum.

No offence but before you venture to that sport it would be wise to check the law concerning shooting game with a bow or crossbows Feltwad

The taking of live game here in UK with either a bow or crossbow of ANY format is prohibited in law.

@Mknight702 - I note with some interest that you show your address as Huntingdon UK. I live about five miles away from you. Small world, eh?

I come on a forum based in the USA, with many poster-friends from countries all across the planet, and then, out of the blue, up pops somebody from five miles away from me. Sadly, a deafening silence is the 'response' not only to my post here, but a PM.

Last edited:
Never make a law that you can not enforce. Nothing says that you can't carry lead balls around and it would be interesting to see someone match a lead ball found down range with the rifle that shot it.

1000 rounds per gun is about right in my mind.......but not by law, by choice only.

The EU requires new member nations ban guns, that is what my Maltese x-girlfriend told me years ago when I was dating her.

Round balls don't have to be made of lead, I've shot them with wheel weights and patch and they are very good but won't expand much at all. Minie balls of course need soft lead.

1000 rounds per gun is about right in my mind.......but not by law, by choice only.

The EU requires new member nations ban guns, that is what my Maltese x-girlfriend told me years ago when I was dating her.
Malta is a very lively and active Firearms culture. They ain’t going to ban firearms on Malta.

Every time I buy .22 it is entered on my FAC, so, if the authorities feel it is necessary, of course they can check how much I've shot. Being law-abiding [how else in order to retain my FAC?] sneakily hoarding ammunition, IF they ban it, would inevitably lead to a prison sentence.

I pay cash for all my ammunition. Just bought some .22 mag the other day. Hand them the cash, they hand you a receipt with a " have a nice day". I have stopped buying ammunition at wal mart because they ask to see your drivers license. Supposedly it's to make sure you're over 18. I dont trust them.

As to lead, I've got enough to meet my needs for years to come. Plus, I scrounge it from the club backstops when no one else is at the muzzle loading range on days I go.

I have not read any other posts as there are too many and I', "just checking in" BUT..... They banned lead shot here in the USA back in the 80's. To My knowledge theres only 1 other lead ban to move past that is in the peoples rebublic or California (and I fully expect them to ban baby food next, they are insane).

So maybe its just for the birds?? Here in AZ they have also banned lead in the single hunt where the re-introduced the condors but I had a tag years ago and game n fish sent me coupon for 2 boxes of non lead so that worked.
Lead shot has only been banned for waterfowl hunting. I still hunt doves with lead shot, and upland birds, squirrels, rabbits and other small game can still be taken with lead shot.

Gentlemen: I'm going to close this thread.

It's against the forum rules to talk of politics outside the American Politics forum that is in the Premium Member area.

I will leave the thread however as someone may find the information useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back