• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why is a fast twist bad for a round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Track of the Wolf Jim Bridger rear sight I used is too low. I'd have to cut the front sight lower than I like to bring the 50 grain and 80 grain loads nearer to point of aim at 50 yards. So I made a new rear sight, but still not tall enough. I used it here and repeated that 120 grain load, but used linen patches with a wool over-powder wad.

First photo, excluding the first clean-bore shot, notice how close in velocity and spread the two loads are.

Second photo shows the linen patch and wool over-powder wad.

Bridger2 120 OE 1 and half targets.JPG
Bridger2 OE 1 and half  tgt  patches measure.JPG

A 1:48 twist is faster than the round ball twist of 1:66 or 1:72, but it provides good accuracy for large caliber rifles using round ball. Now try 1:22 twist used in pistols, and rifles not intended for round balls such as the Lyman GPR hunter.

That Track of the Wolf Jim Bridger rear sight I used is too low. I'd have to cut the front sight lower than I like to bring the 50 grain and 80 grain loads nearer to point of aim at 50 yards. So I made a new rear sight, but still not tall enough. I used it here and repeated that 120 grain load, but used linen patches with a wool over-powder wad.

First photo, excluding the first clean-bore shot, notice how close in velocity and spread the two loads are.

Second photo shows the linen patch and wool over-powder wad.

View attachment 36053View attachment 36054
Nice group Herb. Glad to see someone else uses higher charges in their Hawken. My standard load is 125 grs. Swiss FF and it hits like lightening. I use a 12 gauge wool over powder wad which scrubs the bore on the way down and I can shoot all day.

I only used this 120 grain load as a twist demonstration. I used to hunt deer and elk with 120 grains of Goex 2F but in recent years have gone down to 100 grains. What caliber are you shooting? A 12 gauge wad is .740 diameter.

I have a couple of TCs that are 32 cal with a 1 in 30 twist both guns are tack drivers but both require light loads 15-20 grains 3f. The rifling is shallow and they shoot best with .315 balls and .010 patch with either Hoppes BP lube or Tow mink oil.

Jaegers had a very fast twist by modern standards. Usually 1 full turn per barrel length. 22" barrel equals a 1 in 22 twist for example. They shot RBs very well.

Back