• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Caliber for elk??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of discussions about this but what do you really think. I'm a traditional bowhunter for most of the year so I like to smell the corn on their breath. If you're hunting elk and want to shoot 75 yards or less what is enough?

With good shot placement a .50 will work but a .54 just gives you that added little bit that may make the difference. And if all you plan to use the gun for is elk and other big game, a .58 or .62 would be even better. JMO

Rebel said:
With good shot placement a .50 will work but a .54 just gives you that added little bit that may make the difference. And if all you plan to use the gun for is elk and other big game, a .58 or .62 would be even better. JMO

Just like Rebel said!

Dwarvenchef And a 73 would be real good to if your hunting were you could get ate like big bears :grin:

DwarvenChef said:
I'm planning to go bigger than Elk so the .58 is my choice at the moment. I use a .50 TC hawken for lower 48 stuff.

I really like my .58cal...I've just finished five consecutive range sessions with it during the past couple weeks, shooting 50 shots per session...deciding on taking the .54cal on the next trip and when I set out a box of .530's this afternoon, they looked tiny after handling so many of those big .570's...

Billhuntz said:
What is the weight diffenence of a PRB 50 cal versus 54 and 58???

180grns
230grns (50grns difference)
279grns (49grns and 99grns difference)

50 grains per makes a big diffence in hitting power! I hunt with long bow and heavy is definitely better!! 230 grains in the right place up close should be plenty.

Seems to me this bunch believes in .58!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about a replacement barrel for my T/C Hawken in .54, maybe I should think again. I guess .58 could be used for a little bitty whitetail.

Billhuntz said:
I guess .58 could be used for a little bitty whitetail.

Ya think?? :grin:

The .58cal definitely has a high "Whompability Factor".....can't decide if I should call mine "Thumper" or "Sudden Death" !!

Yes it could be used for white tail, and you can load it down and hunt smaller stuff. You can only load a smaller cal up so far though.

i started out with a 54, then started a 62, but before the 62 was finished, I bought 73.

The 73 has a 550 grain ball, with a stout load of FF it would make a dandy Elk gun, and only weighs about 7 1/2 lbs.

I finished my 62, it has a 1" dia x 25" barrel. It will handle heavy loads, but for close range deer, I am using 80FF. With a wad and pillow ticking, it shoots very straight. For an Elk Load, I will be using 120+ grains of FF.

I can remember when a 54 cal ball looked BIG, but not any more.........I will own a 58 and a 69 cal some day.

Bigger is Better!

Back