• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you think black powder will become scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that will make black powder more and more unavailable has more to do with things like sales volume, insurance and liablility, and other business considerations and not much to do with a particular type of people and how they feel about guns, etc. I am a member of two reenacting groups, and the clubs are mostly populated by senior citizens. It makes me sad, but it looks like we are a dying breed. Younger people are not interested that much in history or historic firearms. They are attracted to the 'black guns" and modern "Glock-like" handguns. This will be the real threat to the availability of black powder: how many people who want to buy it. The best thing we can do for our hobby is to encourage younger people to get involved with black powder weapons!

The thing that will make black powder more and more unavailable has more to do with things like sales volume, insurance and liablility, and other business considerations and not much to do with a particular type of people and how they feel about guns, etc. I am a member of two reenacting groups, and the clubs are mostly populated by senior citizens. It makes me sad, but it looks like we are a dying breed. Younger people are not interested that much in history or historic firearms. They are attracted to the 'black guns" and modern "Glock-like" handguns. This will be the real threat to the availability of black powder: how many people who want to buy it. The best thing we can do for our hobby is to encourage younger people to get involved with black powder weapons!

Actually there has been quite a surge in young people interested in firearms, even period muzzleloading arms. Why? Because they are included in electronic games and the fascination transfers over to real life.

We actually owe a lot to the game designers and their wholesale inclusion of firearms into their product. We could use more period games like Pirates, American Revolution, War of Northern Aggression, etc, and that would help our sport.

The prevalence of WW2 and WW1 games is driving the market in surplus military arms right now in this country.

In truth, the insurance regulations, shipping fees and storage restrictions etc., are the result of "a particular type of people and how they feel about guns, etc." which in turn affects the sales volume and size of the affected population. The idea is to suppress through any means.

It has also been my experience that liking/owning one type of gun, leads to liking and owning others. Many start of with a simple .22, and a lot of people entranced by your so called "black guns" branch out and experiment, finding things like War of Northern Aggression arms relevant to their interest in military arms, and that then leads to an interest in flintlocks, etc. The more the merrier.

Younger people who have jobs and families often go in for the easiest to use and find arms as they are time and budget friendly, and they are more susceptible to the media "coolness factor". As they get older and have more time and disposable income, they branch out and start becoming more interested and involved in areas that are more costly, slower and time consuming, like muzzleloading./reenacting/blackpowder hunting.

Both Carbon, and jaeger make excellent points. BP could eventually go the way of the Dodo and die of natural causes, mainly neglect. That said, we should acknowledge the current climate: never before seen events, and appetites of many to utterly destroy what constitutionalists take for granted: the status quo. Regulations, restrictions, zoning laws, taxes, are all traditional ways to nibble away at the "rights" of gunners, BP and its aficionados. The nibblers are rapidly being supplanted by other, more ravenous types. This is all going to happen faster than than Columbus vacating his namesake city. We are in historic times, uncharted waters. Better to be prepared than not.

I know Carbon... I was trying to be nice! There is panic, and there is common sense. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure the government will continue to do its job with clarity, wisdom, and efficiency. It will protect itself, and you well: from yourself.

Paranoia refers to imagined threats not real ones.

And statements like that are often used to cover real threats.

Yep, that's usually the paranoid response.

It's a fact as real as gravity that induced paranoia is, and has been used to control people.

Well, I do have precedent on my side. So, I guess the "gullible" one would be the one who doesn't.
Precedent??? Holy Cow, man. I guess my memory has gone South. I sure recall 2nd amendment rights not even being a topic in the 50s. Changed a little in the 60's. Got run over in the 70's & 80's. From that point to now the 2nd has become an ugly, misshapened stepchild. I don't think I am paranoid, and don't really appreciate the insinuation. I did kind of panic in an earthquake, once.

I live near a very large town in Colorado. Not the same state it was when I moved here in the '90's. Pyrodex and the other fake powders are available but there was only one store that sold actual black powder and they went out of business about a year ago. Local regulations about "magazine storage" for black powder stopped a lot of stores
from stocking it. I stocked up a few years ago at an estate sale and have enough for about 6 years of shooting at my current rate. But I will buy more if I ever run across any for sale. Never have too much of anything. There will always be someone who has none and needs it. And I agree with another response. All we need is another incident where black powder is used to harm someone and the ruling class will decide that nobody really needs anything that dangerous.

Precedent??? Holy Cow, man. I guess my memory has gone South. I sure recall 2nd amendment rights not even being a topic in the 50s. Changed a little in the 60's. Got run over in the 70's & 80's. From that point to now the 2nd has become an ugly, misshapened stepchild. I don't think I am paranoid, and don't really appreciate the insinuation. I did kind of panic in an earthquake, once.

Hmm, I thought the topic was black powder supply ?

Hmm, I thought the topic was black powder supply ?
You bet. That is what we are about here: BP. The question was, basically, whether or not it will become scarce. Not that complicated, really. Follow the thread and see that it is more than a YES, or NO question. Sometimes we like to know the whys and hows, and whens, and speculations, etc.

The question was, basically, whether or not it will become scarce.

There is no rationale for it becoming scare except one from panic induced by fear, fear from the paranoia that there might be a shortage that leads people to panic buy or hoard which in turn leads to an actual shortage. It's exactly what's happening to the ammunition right now.

There is no rationale for it becoming scare except one from panic induced by fear, fear from the paranoia that there might be a shortage that leads people to panic buy or hoard which in turn leads to an actual shortage. It's exactly what's happening to the ammunition right now.

BS

Why are you trying to misdirect?

'Tis typical of a segment of society to do just that..

There are 4 Goex dealers in Colorado.

If you look at the larger picture (Goex dealer map) it doesn't look so bad.
https://goexpowder.com/dealers/dealer-locator/

Wow four stores for a state of nearly 6 million people. Of those four, how many cans were actually on the shelves? A state that is known for hunting. A state that is known for being a bastion of muzzleloading sports.

A state that has been taken over by those who oppose those activities.

And actually when I searched on the site you linked, for Colorado, it showed no stores located nearby.

So fake news there, but what else were we to expect?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back