• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Schroeter Wheellock puffer...photos at last!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmabie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally, I figured out how to use photobucket with some coaching :redface:

Here is the finished pistol.
SchroeterWheellockPistol.jpg

It required some adjustment to the lock. After six or seven shots, it completely fouls up...I then need to remove the lock, rinse it under some H2O, dry and reinstall...and I'm set to go!!

Thanks to all of you that offered your help and support in getting the photo online :bow:

So is this a recent acquisition that you put together? I haven't heard from Jeff in a LONG time, and I wasn't sure if he was still in business or not. I hope to hear that he is!

Cheers!

Gordon

Rabbitears,
Marvelous pistole! Thanks for showing us the picture. Can you get a photo of it firing. We love fire, that is why we play with these things, hee, hee! :bow: :shake:
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

Naw, it is not a new toy. I built it back in 1999. The timing was off in the lock. The cam is in the wrong position on the flashpan cover lever. I had to make some new springs for it as the ones Schroeter supplies are not tempered correctly and they break. He sent me several more that I attempted to reharden and twmper. I do not think he used the right alloy. A rifle smith made me a new main spring and I made two more just in case. TRS relocated the cam for me as I have no welding equipment. It took a year to get the lock back. I saw some original ones in the von Stauffenburg collection in his castle just outside of Bamberg, Bavaria. I have been working on TRS's 17th century German military wheellock pistol for the past year and a half. It is almost completed, but it has been lot of work as the investment castings shrunk. I had to have metal added to some of the parts. Our local blacksmith hardened and tempered the springs and wheel for me. The Schroeter pistol works fine. I surmise that 7 or so shots is about what one would expect from a wheellock before the pyrites has to be adjusted and the lock cleaned. I have not heard from J. Schroeter in quite some time. I do not know if he is still in business. He is really a nice guy. If he would make a few corrections in his lock design his gun would work flawlessly. :thumbsup:

It is really a pleasure to to business with Schroeter, to bad his kits are historically not very accurate. I bought his italian wheelock two years ago but it is still not done due to a certain lazyness.

As you mentioned the fouling, I found that the wheel does not fit the pan well (way too large gap). Is is machined with a "modernized" profil anyway, so probably better raplace it. I replaced the cock spring too and the pan lid, but on the other hand I had no problem with the mainspring.

Schroeter.jpg

Back