• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trouble Loading Second Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crane Senior

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 50 cal Hawken type I’ve put together with the barrel being the Green Mountain drop in TC replacement. It’s a 1/66 twist and is dead on accurate at 100 yds with a .495 ball, .015 patch (1:6 Ballistol mix dry patch) and 80 gr 2F Goex and or 80gr Swiss 1.5. I want to use this load next week to hunt pigs. The problem is that I can use the wooden ram rod for the first load, but cannot get the second load down without using my range rod. I can get about 3/4 of the way down the barrel with the wooden rod and that’s it. The barrel probably has 150 rounds through it and looks clean as can be to me, no pits and no rings.

I have a feeling I know what next steps might be, but would appreciate hearing from the more seasoned folk on this forum.

When you use the dry patch, you need to wipe the bore between shots or there will be enough fouling to prevent you from seating the ball. You can tak a small bottle of your Ballistol mix to dampen your patch before loading. Or you could spit on your dry patch. The dampness will pick up the fouling and be slick enough to load the second patched ball.

Thanks. I typically swab between shots and then it’s fine. However, in the field I doubt I’d be able to swab and have a chance at a second shot.

I have never used olive oil but have used mink oil but only with a range rod. I may try. .490 ball, not sure what that would do to accuracy, that’s why I went to a .495 ball, but worth a try.

Sounds like you have a real tight fitting target load you have worked up that is shooting well for you but a little fouling makes it a hard reload.

Now you need to work up a practical hunting load that may sacrifice a little in the way of accuracy, but can easily be reloaded in the field.

Tenngun mentioned a lot of good places to start and options

I have some patch material that I’ve wet with Hoppes Black Powder lube and cleaner and I’ll lube another patch strip with mink oil and then try both a .490 and a .495 ball. That should give me a good idea. I may even try a spit patch!

A grease soaked felt over powder wad does the trick for me. It keeps the fowling soft, enabling multiple reloads without the need to wipe. I make my loading blocks thick enough such that I can place a wad under the ball and ram both down together. Lately I've been using .54 felt wads in my .50 rifles.

For hunting, I find that I can typically get at least a second shot loaded using Dutch’s dry patch method, but I also use a synthetic rod while hunting. I have found that for hunting (or shooting all day without swabbing) that if I place a slightly oversized hard felt wad on the powder followed by a very wet patched roundball, I get nearly the same accuracy as with just a dry patch. Critter may be down and out, but hate to be in the woods with a gun that isn’t ready to go.

Last edited:
Give up on the notion of a second shot, focus on the first shot.
Guessing you hunt without a ramrod, powder or extra roundball, so as to assist in helping your pinpoint focus. No need for extra flint or if going percussion, weighing yourself down with a second percussion cap. Must lighten the load.

Give up on the notion of a second shot, focus on the first shot.

If that were the case we'd all load our rifle in camp and leave our horn, bag, balls, patching, ramrod in our tent. No need for a second shot. But thanks for the encouraging words.

Personally, I've always used a saliva soaked patch for hunting. I still think many hunters load a much tighter prb than did those whose life depended on them.

I use my ramrod for loading all my black powder guns in the field. I use my range rod at... well, at the range.

Tiny groups are great at a target shoot. They are not needed for hunting big game.

If you need a second shot, like approaching a hog that may not be dead, skip the patch. Be sure to seat the ball hard to make sure is stays on the powder.

As has others have said use a looser combo. 100 yards is a long shot in the real world of open sights and round balls. You do not need guilt edge target accuracy. Minuet of paper plate is sufficient at 100 yards. 4" at 50 yards is sufficient too. You can achieve that with a loose combination. Try 490 or even 485 balls. A 485 with a thicker patch will load easier and the patch will carry more lube for your second shot.

Latest posts

Back