• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Of the four main gauges (28,24,20,12) Which would yield the best for these priorities? FIRST AND FOREMOST roundball shooting. Factor economy, accuracy, component availability. Second, how effective it would be against rabbits and squirrels at reasonable ranges? Which would you personally favor and why? Thanks!

I consider the 20 to be the most useful "one gun". Anything bigger can consume a lot of lead & powder for roundball & a 20 with ball will do fine on deer. Going the other way, you get less shot out of a small bore which is fine for rabbit & squirrel but for turkey, I think 20 & up. So for me, if only one, a 20.

PS - re component availability, shot is sold by the bag no matter the gun, likewise powder by the pound, and our good Eddie May in Georgia, does an excellent job of casting any size roundball you might want.

You have a 20 gauge.

For on target performance, low cost, and common components, the 28 gauge would be the one I would choose.

As you note, the 28 gauge is 0.549", therefore a 0.535" ball or 0.530" ball using a 0.018" thick patch will compress easily on loading. Up to about 50 yards accuracy will be fairly comparable to a rifle's performance. Using shot, the 28 gauge will easily take squirrel and rabbit and some flying game at reasonable short ranges. Its too light for turkey, but you have a 20 gauge, so turkey is not on your 28 gauge hunting list.

You have a 20 gauge.

For on target performance, low cost, and common components, the 28 gauge would be the one I would choose.

As you note, the 28 gauge is 0.549", therefore a 0.535" ball or 0.530" ball using a 0.018" thick patch will compress easily on loading. Up to about 50 yards accuracy will be fairly comparable to a rifle's performance. Using shot, the 28 gauge will easily take squirrel and rabbit and some flying game at reasonable short ranges. Its too light for turkey, but you have a 20 gauge, so turkey is not on your 28 gauge hunting list.
I think you have helped to make up my mind!

I already have a 20 so I am considering a 28 but have noticed most barrels are .55. how does this shoot with a 54 caliber ball?
6DAADDD8-429F-474C-898C-CEFFF16C0038.jpeg

rabbits and squirrels at reasonable ranges--12 gauge.

In all honesty, how many people actually factor in cost per shot, especially when you consider the price of the gun?

is roundball from a 12 Punishing? Is it too heavy to be accurate at 75 yards or so

I shoot 12 gauge for doves and trap, have not shot roundball in it.

From shooting smooth bore pistol, you have to get the velocity up to be accurate. Shooting smooth bore rifle, I have learned that they are very humbling.

If you already have a 20 gauge then I would go smaller for the uses you have mentioned. If you mostly plan to just use shot through it for small game, I don't see any reason not to go even smaller than a 28 gauge. Look at the great work on rabbits and squirrels that Britsmoothy does with a .45 caliber smoothrifle.

The only downside I can see to going smaller than 20 for a small game gun shooting shot is that if one wants it jug choked, I don't think anyone does the work on the smaller bores.

The only reason I can see to go larger than 20 gauge is if one adds waterfowl to the list of game to be hunted.

There is a big misperception about shotgun size and killing power. Whatever shot size you use , #6, 7 1/2 or even 4s all leave your barrel at the same velocity regardless of barrel size given the same powder load. The choice of shotgun gauge is one on how many pellets you wish to shot and what range you are shooting. Example: let's take a pheasant , shooting #6 shot. It takes about 3-5 pellets to kill a pheasant. Lets assume your gun places 50 % of shot in a 30"diameter circle. If you shot at 35 yards and hit the bird in the center of the pattern, all gauges 28, 20, 16 &12 will kill the bird. You may have more hits with a larger gauge but mostly the other shot will be wasted. The next thing you need to determine is shot string length. Shot forms a string or cloud some many feet long and feet wide as it fly's to the target. It's a 3 D pattern. What you want is a well rounded pattern with the shortest string length. Ironically a 28 ga will give you a better killing pattern than a 20 ga. because the shot string is more compact. IE it gives you a better killing pattern where 20 ga will give a more crippling pattern depending where the bird is hit at the forward part of tail end of the string. ( PS most people shot behind the bird so 20 ga may hit the bird since you shot behind but it has fewer pellets in the kill zone IE cripples.

The reason I know this is because after switching from a 20 ga to a 28 ga hunting pheasants, I increased my killing ratio by about 25%.that's because i'm getting old and become tired carrying my heavier 20 ga all day. I also lowered by crippling shots by 50% or more. I either killed them dead or completely missed them. I also know duck and goose hunter who also use 28 ga. with excellent killing ratios , mostly in the early season . It's because they are careful in what their range is and when the bird is most vulnerable.

so choose whatever ga you wish but remember it only takes a few pellets to kill a bird .

If, as you stated rabbit and squirrel are your primary game, and you have a 20 bore, then a 28 or even smaller will be fine. My dear old dad loved his 410, taking everything in this neck of the woods with it. And used slugs for deer.
The irony was 12 gauge shells were cheaper.

For round ball efforts the 28 ga. is fun. When using shot anything from 16 ga. to 12 ga. works well. But, 11 and 10 ga. will do the job also. With muzzle loaders there are lots of choices and loads. For the 15 ga. I have used 2 1/2 drams of 777 and an ounce of shot to good effect.

Consider what is available to you in terms of wad, round ball, cards, etc. in purchasing another gun. If you can make your own, perfect. If you have to order things in, are they readily available and inexpensive?

A young guy I know was interested in buying a rifle chambered for .257 Roberts as a deer gun. My advice to him was to research the availability and price of the ammo. If it is expensive he might consider a .270 or .308, which is cheaper and locally available. The less available the cartridge the more the local gun store is going to charge for them...

Back