• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What model of TC is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Im looking at a Thompson Center .50 percussion rifle for sale that appears to have an octagonal barrel that changes to round past the nose of stock. I think its a High Plains Sporter but have never seen a barrel like that. Not much other info. The seller wants around $275 for it. Its a bit of a blister with that ugly red looking paint finish. I'm thinking more along the lines of $175 and a refinish. It looks like the ramrod thimbles are soldered on. Thanks for any info.
20200621_110854.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-105426_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-105444_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-105444_Chrome.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
To me nothing says T/C except the hammer, trigger guard and lock. Appears to a hodge podge of stuff, thimbles, recoil pad, funny looking ramrod. .

What ever you may pay, it will hard t re-coup your money.

Worth the price of parts,maybe..
I'd give no more than 100.00 for it. If I had use for the parts. And that's probably being generous

I've been searching the forum for info on that barrel. I seem to recall someone mentioning a barrel that transitioned from octagonal to round. New Englander maybe?
I'm going to phone them tomorrow and see if they'll look at the barrel for a name

I've been searching the forum for info on that barrel. I seem to recall someone mentioning a barrel that transitioned from octagonal to round. New Englander maybe?
I'm going to phone them tomorrow and see if they'll look at the barrel for a name
The New Englander did and so didn’t The White Mtn Carbine.

Might be a Renegade with the end of the barrel turned from flats to round. Looks like ramrod thimbles are soldered or welded to the underbarrel rib (wonder how ribis attached?) and the front sight sure doesn’t seem right. With what is obvious, who knows what is hidden? Like bore condition?

New Englander had a round barrel from end to end, at least ones I have handled.

This one looks to be a Bubba special.

Whatever it is/was bubba beat it up pretty bad. Based on the outside the inside is probably ruined too. I would not own it for any price.

The lock might be the same as a Seneca or Cherokee. I could really use that and the double trigger.
Edit: Nope. Definitely same lock as a Hawken.

Last edited:
There isn't much that rifle I'd trust from what I can see... You can buy replacement locks from L&R and double set triggers Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloader Builders Supply, etc... Good choice to run...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back