• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another .32 Crockett Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43911

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I must say, I think Traditions has stepped up it's game, I just received a Crockett that I ordered from Midway USA on Tuesday (on sale) , the bluing is great, wood is nice it's way better than a Crockett I purchased a few years ago, trigger sets without getting a hernia, trigger when set is about 1 1/2 pounds, brass oval in wrist (last one did not have this), brass front sight blade with steel dovetail base, looks to be round bottom rifling.
More to follow with pictures, load info I started on another thread I will post here if anyone is interested.

P.S. I'm very shocked at the quality of this gun, date code is 2020.

The Crockett is probably their best selling side lock muzzle loader. the vice president of Traditions is a member of my sportsmens club, and he has said that they sell more Crockett's than their other side locks combined.

I measured the bore , lands =.320, grooves = .342, that is spot on for listed sizes.

Wiped the barrel (outside of) with New Finish (car polish) makes it shine like black chrome and does a great job of protecting the surface (used before on original colt), shine part is superficial I know but protection is not.

Cleaned the bore with Hoppes #9, it was a task, soak, brush, patch, repeat many times. All good now.

Spent some time casting round ball last night, all I can say is I will not run out of lead anytime soon,
I may fall down dead from monotony, waiting for other molds to show up.

Some people knock the aluminum rod but to me it's more usable than many of the wood rods that come with rifles of a higher price point, I will make a hickory one for looks.

CUT AND PASTE MY REPLY FROM OTHER THREAD

I had a .32 Crockett some time ago and sold it because I didn't think it shot well, I just ordered another one because I feel I gave up without working through the problem.
Anyway, a fiber wad may cushion the projectile, not permitting obturation or a least not enough for the groove depth on the Crockett (10/11 thou), resulting in the bullet skidding down the bore, I too have a few molds on order to attempt to work through the bullet problem with this caliber and 1 in 48 twist and as many have said in the past the .32 should be around 1 in 30 twist. The .32 maxi is reported to be too long for 1 in 48 twist and accuracy falls short, some people have cast the maxi and then cut the back section off with good but inconsistent results, what I'm going to try is a hollow base bullet, hollow base with paper patch, Lee bullet with paper patch and a semi-wad, most are short bullets at .400 through .490 in length (Lee is longer), weights are from 70g to 115g.

I got my pistol stuff figured now onto the rifle that gave me heartburn.

Last edited:
This is one that I find interesting for the Crockett, with paper patch and pure lead (80g).

1592428125055.png

CUT AND PASTE MY REPLY FROM OTHER THREAD

Even at 12 grains of 3F you will get obturation, seen the effects on RB and bullets in .36 revolvers with 12 to 15 grains of 3F and loaded with 10 to 15 grains of 4F even with a cylinder gap to vent gas, this is with pure lead projectile @ 5 brinell . Also seen the effects shooting a .32 lead bullet that slid down the bore with light contact on the lands, when recovered it had solid rifling formed, now the powder drop was 10 grains of 4F with 10 grains of 3F on top (then the bullet).
As I start testing loads etc again I'll post results if anyone is interested, 4F with 3F on top, some loads done 3F with 4F on top, change the pressure curve, acceleration rate and so on. I've used the dual powder drop in a few guns to get some good results even on a .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkens.

Side question, I've looked up the rules on NMLRA web site but can't see the answer, when shooting squirrel gun- what is the distance to target and size of the target, found .40 is max cal but that's it.

I'm a fan of the Crockett and owned one for many years. It came with a wood ramrod which I used very judiciously and never broke. For hunting I made a coated fiberglass rod which also doubled as a range rod. To say the little rifle was accurate is a grand understatement. It was capable of 1" groups at 40 to 50 yards with prb. I tried it with .32 HBWC but they didn't work out. Since I only use patched ball in all guns that's what my Crockett was fed. At 36 yards (this target) 4 shots went into a 3/4" group with a flier, my fault, opening it to 1-1/16"
PICT0433.jpg

I bought mine from a long time friend who is on the forum. I absolutely love this rifle .310 rb .015 patch 15 gr of pyro p took 23 squirrels in a week. It shoots my goex and older eyensford equally as well. Trying to burn some of my synthetic powder up. The moment I bought my rifle out in a carrying case and it slipped out of my hand on the pavement. Got some indentions from the gravel. I love this little rifle. I bought a after market brass ramrod but it's to big to go into the stock. I have 2 aluminum ram rods which I prefer over wood

I’ve got a Crockett that I built from a kit several years ago. I put it into the safe and more or less forgot about it until I read this thread. I guess that I’ll dust it off and give it a go. Looks like accuracy can be hit and miss with these little fellas. Should be fun experimenting.

Have one I bought a couple of years ago. Got to the range and discovered I had only brought along 2F triple 7 powder. Shot it anyway and first shot at 25 yards hit the X dead center. Will have to dig that little rifle out again and give it a workout. I had a severe case of Flintlock-only syndrome but have been easing my way back into shooting a percussion now and again. I have to use up some of the Black MZ I bought on sale for $9.99 a pound at Sportsman’s Warehouse is my excuse. It has big ugly granules but shoots great in little .32’s without clogging them up. The bore on that little Crockett is smooth as glass.

The Crockett is fast becoming my new favorite, easy to hold and carry, economical to shoot, well built, great price new.
Very close to historically correct 1840's tree rat gun ( aluminum rod aside), maybe I should go get some popcorn with that comment.
Anyway, I'll post some pictures this afternoon, so far the only needed thing I've done is re-crown the barrel, I may put a small patch box in the stock.

mine is a tackdriver. i put a post on it as i use a oversized bare ball in it over a 60 thousands wad and a felt wad over that then the ball. i use buck shot tapped into the bore. it drives tacks at any range. love the gun. load is 50 grains of powder. never ever leads the bore.

Have one I bought a couple of years ago. Got to the range and discovered I had only brought along 2F triple 7 powder. Shot it anyway and first shot at 25 yards hit the X dead center. Will have to dig that little rifle out again and give it a workout. I had a severe case of Flintlock-only syndrome but have been easing my way back into shooting a percussion now and again. I have to use up some of the Black MZ I bought on sale for $9.99 a pound at Sportsman’s Warehouse is my excuse. It has big ugly granules but shoots great in little .32’s without clogging them up. The bore on that little Crockett is smooth as glass.

Most people have the same experience with the Crockett as far as accuracy goes, the guns have a great reputation but they are like closet guns everyone has one but nobody wants to admit it, why is this.
I have some 2F 777 that has never been opened I may give it a try.

mine is a tackdriver. i put a post on it as i use a oversized bare ball in it over a 60 thousands wad and a felt wad over that then the ball. i use buck shot tapped into the bore. it drives tacks at any range. love the gun. load is 50 grains of powder. never ever leads the bore.

I read your thread (say that fast three times), people have asked you what size buck you are using when not using a patch as buckshot comes in many sizes, presumption is you are loading with a .320, can you measure the shot or let us know what was on the package ?

Can't believe it, I used the words historically correct and Smokey P hasn't jumped on it yet, it's been more than 20 minutes :) big smiley, big smiley ;).

After casting again last night, I'm going with this product for round ball shooting.
I have a Lee .311rb double cavity mold, temp (mold temp) will not stay were it needs to be.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/
I’m about through my first 8 pound container of Ballistic Products’ 1-1/2 buck. Love them. 90% or more were used in my 32 flinter with a few loads out of a 12 gauge just for fun. With 12 grain charge can pop shots off the back deck and not bother anyone (except woodchucks, squirrels and coyotes). Can’t imagine the time I would have spent casting 1200 plus .310” diameter lead balls.

I can't get the Ballistic Products in Canada. No one sells anything .32 either. I had no choice but to buy the same .311 Lee mold and start casting. After 4 or 5 starters, the mold stays hot enough to make good ones if i keep up the pace. I usually end up with an equal amount of sprue trims as I do lead poured ;)
20200511_173322.jpg

Back