• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hard frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what makes a flint do this?? hard frizzen?? first time it didnt go off it fired the second time .. thats a new flint.. where can i get a new frizzen beside that junk lyman makes the second flint never did fire the gun. broke the flint thanks michael
20200620_181737.jpg

Attachments

• 20200620_182716.jpg
    20200620_182716.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 114
That’s normal. You say the gun didn’t fire. Did the powder in the pan flash? What kind of powder are you using? Are you using English flints or the cut agate flints?

That’s normal. You say the gun didn’t fire. Did the powder in the pan flash? What kind of powder are you using? Are you using English flints or the cut agate flints?
Looks like an English flint when I zoomed on the pic. May be the wrong size flint, might need to flip it upside down or move it back a little. The flint in the picture is pretty beat up.

no the powder didnt flash.. 4f in the pan the flinti is back against the jaw screw.. it fire ok with cut agate flints. it got the flint beat all to hell.. got 2 shots on the first flint none on the second got 4. maybe 5 on the third flint i use 3/4 flints from RMC ox yoke and track of the wolf... my old lyman deer stalker gets 15 plus shot on one flint

Could be a geometry issue with the lock causing the flint to strike the frizzen at a bad angle. Could be the frizzen spring is WAY too heavy. Remove the frizzen spring and try to fire the gun. The spring is just there to keep the frizzen closed over the pan. Gun will work without it to test it. If the gun fires fine and doesn’t destroy the flints then relieve the spring tension on the frizzen spring. I have a traditions flint that had an issue with the frizzen spring like that. On my traditions, pedersoli and L&R locks I get 25-30 shots before I need to Knapp the flint then I’ll get the same amount again. I can get 100 rounds off or more on a single flint. Keep testing and you’ll figure it out.

the frizzen spring is heavy my great plains and the deer stalker is lighter then the new spring.. you can file metal off the frizzen..

the frizzen spring is heavy my great plains and the deer stalker is lighter then the new spring.. you can file metal off the frizzen..
Your file should skip/glide off the face of the frizzen. If it is cutting metal, that is your first big issue. (A soft frizzen) Your flint looks like a throw away. Get a good sharp English flint! If your frizzen is of decent metal, you can re harden and temper. Start with correcting the frizzen and get a good flint. If you still have issues you need to work on mainspring and frizzen spring tensions.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Remove it from the lock and heat it to a bright red then quench in light oil, 10 weigh motor oil works. Then wash off the oil and put it in the oven preheated to 375. Leave it in for an hour. Test again with a file.

how can you re harden the frizzen??

To harden a frizzen: Heat uniformly to 1500 deg. (this is bright red) and then quickly quenching in a quart or so of light weight oil, (never water). moving the frizzen slowly around in the oil until cool. If hard it will not file.
Now that is hardened (if done properly) it is too hard so you need to temper it (soften it up slightly) Tempering: Heat frizzen for 1 hour at 375 deg. (62-64 Rockwell C)
Good luck
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

It's also possible the frizzen is bouncing back striking the top of the flint and breaking it. In this case it would require working on the toe of the frizzen and the frizzen spring.

To harden a frizzen: Heat uniformly to 1500 deg. (this is bright red) and then quickly quenching in a quart or so of light weight oil, (never water). moving the frizzen slowly around in the oil until cool. If hard it will not file.
Now that is hardened (if done properly) it is too hard so you need to temper it (soften it up slightly) Tempering: Heat frizzen for 1 hour at 375 deg. (62-64 Rockwell C)
Good luck
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲
I use salt water. Heat cherry red, dip in salt water and then temper in the oven. Used this process for years it's always worked for me.

Do a search on hardening and carbon-packing frizzens here. Dave Person has written volumes on the subject here. You want gobs of yellow-orange sparks landing right int he middle of the pan. Dave can get a frizzen to spark using a crayon as a flint.

Do a search on hardening and carbon-packing frizzens here. Dave Person has written volumes on the subject here. You want gobs of yellow-orange sparks landing right int he middle of the pan. Dave can get a frizzen to spark using a crayon as a flint.

My favorite is when he picked up a piece of gravel from his driveway and made sparks with it!!

yes its new.. its been a pain in my ass from the get go read my post about it... will try and do that this weekend do you heat the hole frizzen red hot?? thanks michael

Back