• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ketland Flint lock Sporting Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of a early flintlock sxs sporting gun by Ketland of London that may interest members The approximate date of this gun is 1770-1800 the Ketland locks are fitted with roller frizzen which takes it too a later date of the flintlock period The barrels are 33inches in length and of iron which most likely would have been foreign manufacture and Tower proofed.
Feltwad
100_1378.JPG
100_1382.JPG
100_1385.JPG
100_1388.JPG

Not much interest in this thread off original flintlock sporting guns looks like a waste of time
Feltwad

Felt, some of us enjoy seeing the fine pieces of History you post!

Yet another fantastic gun, you are a lucky man too have access to such great guns. Please do not become discouraged and keep posting photos of these wonderful works of art from a time long gone...Thanks

I find the use of octagon to round barrels on this SxS double interesting.
How does it compare for weight and balance with a similar double using two round barrels?
Compared to later flintlock doubles it is on the bulky side but it handles well with a good lift and not too straight , the breech end is on the wide side and each lock is secured by a small screw which fastens to the side of the standing breech The 12 bore octangle to round barrels are not a common factor but I have worked on other flintlock doubles with the same type of barrels which are of foreign manufacture
Feltwad
100_2177.JPG
100_2191.JPG
100_2194.JPG

Just the flintlocks on that gun catch your interest! It is a very nice gun to look at and probably worth more than any firearm i will ever own!
LBL

Felrwad, don’t know for sure but I’m guessing you are located in United Kingdom. Here in the states it’s Father‘s Day and those of so inclined are taking the day to bbq and quaff a few and visit with family. Please don’t take it that we‘re not interested, we are. But, we’re just busy...

Just the flintlocks on that gun catch your interest! It is a very nice gun to look at and probably worth more than any firearm i will ever own!
LBL
I can only speak for the price in the UK .OK the original are not cheap but the same goes for the new reproes has some of them are the same price has what you can purchased a original , with a repro no matter if it is factory or individual handmade it will always be a repro and when sold second hand will not fetch the same price has an original ,so I would say whoever an original comes your way in good condition buy it which will be better in the long run
Feltwad

Felrwad, don’t know for sure but I’m guessing you are located in United Kingdom. Here in the states it’s Father‘s Day and those of so inclined are taking the day to bbq and quaff a few and visit with family. Please don’t take it that we‘re not interested, we are. But, we’re just busy...
Yes it is fathers day here in the UKalso my present was a box of chocolates for which the family enjoyed most would have prefer a tin of gun oil
Feltwad

Very interesting piece.
As someone mentioned above the gun looks quite bulky for an English double. Especially across the forend.
I love the detail in finishing the mainsprings. Keeping the bevels except at the fold. I guess so there is more to tap in if required.
The flash hole on the right looks very large and low. Is that normal or common?
And there does not appear to be a stirrup but a little bit sticking out to the side where the mainspring presses the tumbler. What is that for?

It looks like it'd be a good shooter. The roller frizzens may be late period, but should make it fast.
Wish I could find one w/ that potential.

Very interesting piece.
As someone mentioned above the gun looks quite bulky for an English double. Especially across the forend.
I love the detail in finishing the mainsprings. Keeping the bevels except at the fold. I guess so there is more to tap in if required.
The flash hole on the right looks very large and low. Is that normal or common?
And there does not appear to be a stirrup but a little bit sticking out to the side where the mainspring presses the tumbler. What is that for?
I think what you are referring to is the nose on the end of the main spring which curls back on the curve of the mainspring. The curl or hump on the end of the mainspring is to allow tumbler to move under the mainspring when the flint cock is pull back to full cock which a stirrup is not needed this came at a later date
Feltwad

Nope I meant that little spigot out the side. Looks like someone drilled a hole in the side of the nose and stuck a bit of wire in.
No it is not a bit of wire it is part of the nose otherwise known has a stop forged by the spring maker which only allows the spring a given throw when the cock is at full cock . This stops on the side of the bridle and only allows the sear to engage the full cock position and not past that position , I have worked on originals where this stop has either worn or broken of and allowed the sear to ride under the bridle and to pass the full cock position and lock behind the axis of the tumbler which renders the gun unworkable the only way to free it without any damage to the sear is to strip the whole lock and renew the mainspring
Hope this answers your question
Feltwad

Back