• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 and greetings!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your percussion version is a great looking rifle! Did you do anything special to the stock finish or is that just from use? It has a nice dark shellack look to it that I really like.

Thanks olskool, though I haven't shot this one yet I have shot my other GPR in .54 percussion and am mightly impressed with the amount of rifle Lyman offers for the modest price. Here's a pic;

vk96jiHh.jpg

vk96jiHh.jpg
Lyman 54 percussion is way up on my wish list. Nice gun!

I bought that rifle as you see it, am pretty sure the original owner aged it but am not sure how.
If I knew I think I might do the same to the flinter!

edit: who here can tell me how to age/ darken the wood on my GPR flintlock ?

Your percussion version is a great looking rifle! Did you do anything special to the stock finish or is that just from use? It has a nice dark shellack look to it that I really like.

I looked at a used GP flint rifle for sale in a gun/pawn shop a few years back that appeared barely used. I was surprised at how dark the finish on the rifle was. It didn't appear to have been refinished. It also was not a smooth finish.

A few additional pics;
3W9IMVJh.jpg

Ajh4Xqv.jpg

i5ZXXEs.jpg
I hope you don’t have a beard. I do and have had one since ‘75 except for my navy boot camp. I chose the navy because you could have a beard then.
When I did mountian man I did brass tacks. I put a design on a brave tail check piece. It yanked a beard hair every time I shot
Gun should bring you tons of fun:thumb:

That is a very good looking rifle. However, if I had a nice busy beard, I would be hesitant putting my beard next to those brass tacks on the cheek piece and pulling the trigger.
Seem to see the brass tacks on guns in photographs of Native Americans. Were these guns photographer’s props? If the tacks were prominent on their actual guns I wonder if their minimal or fine light facial hair played a role?

Latest posts

Back