• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New Little Tin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Smokey, i am kinda a new guy here, been on the sidelines trying to absorb as much as I can without embarassing myself, i am a tin box lover and really like your results! i actually have questions about your rifle (type, era and region used, etc), as I just found one in an understair behind fireplace closet in one of the putbuildings that has a remarkable resemblance to yours at least in the lock and trigger area, the one I have unearthed is also percussion, has the set and regular triggers and the lock plate is remarkably similar. It has a hexagonal Barrel, just shy of 37 inches, rifled and appears to be @ 50 caliber. There is a forward low leaf sight snd a notched rear with a thin @2 inch brass plate running along the top hexagonal barrel plane. The brass trigger guard is similar, wooden rammer in brass pipes and the entire piece is about 51 1/2 inches long.....i vaguely remember my grandfather having it on a wall when i was a kid, i am 63 now, stock is real dark but appears to possibly be tiger maple due to striping that comes through even with the darkened wood...i was amazed at how light it was when i picked it up. I will try to get some pics if that may help! Thanks so much!

it shure odd just how that after use that percussion cap tins rust or stick and are near impossible to get opened. I carry one that I burnt to carry a small amount of char when out on a hunt/trek for an emergency. and to make Shure I can get it open, I always smear a small amount of resizing lube around the lip, always does the trick.

I have also used empty large and small/medium empty shoe polish burnt containers, the kind that has a little GIZZY on the bottom that pops the cover off when it is turned left or rite and it will never stick, always will open up. KEWEE BRAND and SHINOLA comes to mind.

I received some thumb drives (flash drives) from a law firm. The drives were enclosed in a rectangular, aluminum container that was just the right size for carrying cleaning and shooting patches as well as other shooting supplies. I've put lubed patches in so reduce the drying out of the patches.
First step was burning and scraping the Lump, Dump, Rump and Stump (not their real name:)) law firm logo off the top. Now, how do I make aluminum look like tin?
Ron

you were lucky burning the aluminum to get the paint off with out it melting, it has a very low melting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several cap tins I have stuck in the fireplace, and then use to carry lubed patches. I gave them a light coating of Barricade after cleaning the soot off and haven't had any of them rust yet.

Here is another tin type (more rounded, original). Brass original below
1593696913330.png
1593697048439.png
1593697344010.png

One on the right would be the box copied by Cash, latch is the only thing I can see not copied.

Attachments

• 3 box pic.jpg
    3 box pic.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back