• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New possibles bag from QG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiksmo

40 Cal
Reaction score
In another thread someone mentioned a BP supplier called Quartermaster General (QG). I've been looking for a possibles bag for a while, and since hadn't found one yet, thought I'd check it out. I found one that was exactly what I wanted..."simple." Here's the QG description, along with some photos I took.

Simple Shooter's Bag
The simple, rounded flap was as seen on early bags. This 7" x 8" example has a deep gusset that expands to 3" wide at the bottom. The strap is 1 7/8" wide, 58" long and adjustable to be shorter. Extras include a spacious inside pocket, plus a 5-1/2" long patch knife sheath sewn to the wide, comfortable strap. Sueded brown cowhide resembles the rustic look of the early home-tanned leather.

~wiksmo

Possibles bag from Quartermaster General3618.JPG

Possibles bag from Quartermaster General3617.JPGPossibles bag from Quartermaster General3620.JPG

Nice bag, plain and simple.
I’m in the process of designing my own bag. Starting from the in side out with interior pocket laid out in a logical easy to access system a place for all the essentials. Not to big its to be a shooting bag not a possibles bag.
I have made a few in the past never satisfied with them. So this time I am working on the inside first.
I want the gussets on the outside as the take up a lot of room inside an can act a support legs so the bag will be able to stand up unsupported.

I changed the wood ball on my short starter to a square block with severely rounded edges and corners to make it non painful to smack down down the PRB with hammer like blow of by balled fist.
Those round ball short starters are bad news all around. :)

Last edited:
Larry, I will take a swag on the long tube attached to the funnel, I also shoot bp cartridge guns and in loading them you use a drop tube this allows the black powder to string out during charging the cartridge giving a more uniform stack to the main charge also allowing room for the main charge in the casing prior to compressing the charge and various wadding being placed over the main charge prior to seating the bullet maintaining there is no air spaces in the finished cartridge. This is a completely different animal compared to loading a muzzle loading weapon. I see no real benefit to doing this to a muzzle loader but we all have our ways and I will not be judgmental of different practices as long as they are safe. For the moderators this example is used for illustrative purpose in order to answer a question, For wiksmo please do not take offense as stated we all have our own ways and if this works for you great.

Appreciate the comments from you both. ~wiksmo

Nice bag, plain and simple. Thanks.

I changed the wood ball on my short starter to a square block with severely rounded edges and corners to make it non painful to smack down down the PRB with hammer like blow of by balled fist.
Those round ball short starters are bad news all around. :)
Agreed on this. I have challenges using the round ball config. Like your idea to cut to a square block.

Larry, I will take a swag on the long tube attached to the funnel, I also shoot bp cartridge guns and in loading them you use a drop tube this allows the black powder to string out during charging the cartridge giving a more uniform stack to the main charge also allowing room for the main charge in the casing prior to compressing the charge and various wadding being placed over the main charge prior to seating the bullet maintaining there is no air spaces in the finished cartridge. This is a completely different animal compared to loading a muzzle loading weapon. I see no real benefit to doing this to a muzzle loader but we all have our ways and I will not be judgmental of different practices as long as they are safe. For the moderators this example is used for illustrative purpose in order to answer a question, For wiksmo please do not take offense as stated we all have our own ways and if this works for you great.

No offense taken. At the same time I bought my Pedersoli u.h. pistol, a friend who is BP shooter bought one also. Here is what he explained to me about using this funnel/tube powder drop since the pistol has a patented breech, and using the powder drop gets 3fff powder "into that gap." He has many more years experience than I do, so I accepted his suggestion.

"A patented breech is essentially drilling the touch hole liner or nipple port into the breech plug. To do this one would have to drill a small hole from the bore to the breech plug hole. It allows the powder to funnel down right next to the touch hole/nipple. The diameter is smaller by approximately half, increasing the efficiency of the blackpowder when set off."

Interesting to me the one minor issue with the powder drop tube is that it's too long to fit into my new bag, although the bag was marketed as a "large size." I know it is hard to always have the perfect solution!

Crazy Crow also has some nice simple reasonably priced bags.

I also use a square starter. I glued plywood squares together and used a 5/16" bolt drilled to a cup shape for the stub. A piece of ramrod with a drilled out .32acp cartridge makes the long side. Much more comfortable to hit than a round one. Also lays in the bag better.

Wiksmo, the approach to loading your patent breech is basically the same approach as discussed, with 3f being a finer grade of powder it is placed directly into the patent breech same principle as the drop tube, as to the carrying part perhaps a tab of leather sewn to the outside of the bag about 3 in. long like a sleeve just make sure it is snug enough to hold the tube from falling out once you slide the tube in O by the way nice bag.

Nice bag, wiksmo.

The Hungarian gentleman who makes the Cap & Ball videos on YouTube has used a long drop tube with his muzzleloaders, at least on the videos I have seen. He is respected internationally as a top shooter, and he must have a reason.

Appalachian Hunter provided a good explanation of why the BP cartridge shooters use drop tubes. I've heard it said that the long barrel of a muzzleloader serves as its own drop tube, while others say powder granules adhering to the bore have to be pushed down as the ball is loaded which (in their opinion) makes a difference. Wiksmo's comments about directing the charge into the powder well of the patent breech make a lot of sense.

I've been looking for a long drop tube to try with my muzzleloaders. They ain't cheap, and they're not easy to find. Pedersoli makes them in two different lengths, but these seem to be in short supply... Out of stock with most dealers.

Anyway, the pouch which was the original subject of this thread looks like a dandy,

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

notchy bob, the small brass funnels can be purchased on line from muzzle loading vendors, you will need the funnel first. Then go to your local hardware, craft, or hobby store with the funnel and purchase a length of brass tubing your desired length that the mouth of the funnel will fit snugly into now you can either solder the funnel to the tubing or as I done gorilla glue. As you I found the already made ones either too expensive or out of stock. As stated earlier I made mine for the unmentionable guns. then I made a stand to support the tube. Been using it for years and works great. Hope this helps.

A stater in the mountain man sketch book and my copy. I drilled the top to make a charger. Saves stuff in your sack. Should some one say ‘they didn’t use short staters then’ you can just say, ‘it’s my powder measure..... and they used powder measures back then’
B60F1DAA-3B52-49B0-9754-510A6325170D.jpeg
DBA1A460-01EB-410A-A649-8EE67B6056F8.jpeg

notchy bob, the small brass funnels can be purchased on line from muzzle loading vendors, you will need the funnel first. Then go to your local hardware, craft, or hobby store with the funnel and purchase a length of brass tubing your desired length that the mouth of the funnel will fit snugly into now you can either solder the funnel to the tubing or as I done gorilla glue. As you I found the already made ones either too expensive or out of stock. As stated earlier I made mine for the unmentionable guns. then I made a stand to support the tube. Been using it for years and works great. Hope this helps.
Good suggestion! Thanks!

Notchy Bob

Back