• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I got a Eye exam this afternoon so I won't be able to do too much replying. A nephew just sold me an old black powder flask cause he needed some money. I haven't a clue what it is. I gave him $10.00 for it, I think it's a reproduction. It doView attachment 33199es have the patina though.
Looks like an old civil war Naval flask. Or a good replica

Those 3 screws holding the top on are some very tiny things aren't they? I stopped by Tractor Supply to see what size these screws were but their gauge doesn't go that small. The smallest metric they handle is a .70 what ever that means? These are even smaller. Is there such thing as a .60? Or a .50 maybe?
20200607_184048.jpg

I'm not sure if you are giving the diameter or the pitch of the thread when you say "the smallest metric they handle is .70..." I suspect that is referring to the pitch of the threads.
0.70 mm is equal to .028 inches which is less than 1/32". Much smaller than the screw you show in your picture.

Metric thread sizes is given by the letter M followed by two numbers. The first of these is the diameter of the outside of a external thread. The second number is the distance the threads are spaced at. (Often, the M is not included when giving the thread sizes for metric threads.)

That said, I just got up off my lazy butt and removed one of the screws in one of my Italian powder flasks. It measures .115 inches in diameter. That is equal to 2.9210 mm. Because the theoretical sharp point at the tip of a thread is actually flattened slightly the outside diameter of an external thread is always slightly less than the size given in the book or charts. Because of this, this is a 3 mm thread.

Small metric screw standards don't include fine pitch thread series so, looking at the metric course pitch thread charts says the screws that are holding the top on my powder flask are M 3-.50 threads.

Thanks for your explanation on metric screws. I am still however fairly ignorant on the subject of metric screws. Several months ago I posted on this forum how I misplaced (lost) the butt screw for my ASM revolver. I replaced it a metric screw from Tractor Supply. It was a M4-.70 x 12. The screw was too long and the head was way to large but a file took care of that. A little cold bluing and It was as good as new. Actually it was with your help. You suggested taking a screw from by the side of the hammer and seeing if the threads matched. Thanks! You do the thinking and I'll do the filing.

Sorry I got a Eye exam this afternoon so I won't be able to do too much replying. A nephew just sold me an old black powder flask cause he needed some money. I haven't a clue what it is. I gave him $10.00 for it, I think it's a reproduction. It doView attachment 33199es have the patina though.
Italian copy of the Peace Flask. As used with the Mississippi rifle. The originals had a patent cut off and an adjustable spout.

I bought these two in the 1960s; Italian. They still work and get used. Replaced a couple of parts on the smaller one way back. Didn't cost much beck then.
DSC00422.jpg

Those 3 screws holding the top on are some very tiny things aren't they? I stopped by Tractor Supply to see what size these screws were but their gauge doesn't go that small. The smallest metric they handle is a .70 what ever that means? These are even smaller. Is there such thing as a .60? Or a .50 maybe?View attachment 33473
maybe they are wrist watch size?

That smaller one on the right, did they use more copper in the body of the flask? I like the "deeper" color.

Since we are on the subject of flasks, does anyone know what period this might be from. I found it in my fathers things when cleaning out his stuff and I have no clue. The seams are split on one side and someone soldered the spout back in place. Any info is welcome - thank you.

Attachments

• EDED722C-C1E4-45EF-B988-5678FFDD9E94.jpeg
    EDED722C-C1E4-45EF-B988-5678FFDD9E94.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 116
  • 0CE2AEE5-D823-4A74-A4BB-4F901D9031F4.jpeg
    0CE2AEE5-D823-4A74-A4BB-4F901D9031F4.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 120
  • F896D346-EA7E-4767-B88E-E9ADA9088260.jpeg
    F896D346-EA7E-4767-B88E-E9ADA9088260.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 107
Crane Senior:
Your flask appears to be what Ray Riling, the author of "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK" calls a "Shell and Brush" flask.
These flasks have some type of shell like pattern usually at the bottom with some sort of brushlike plant growing out of it.
A flask with a very similar, but not quite the same pattern to your flask's is # 336 on page 289 of the book.
The author says the pattern is characteristic of a pattern used by Capewell, a noted family who held a number of Patents on various flask features. The company also produced powder flasks but not as many as Dixon or the American Powder Flask Company.

As for the spout, "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK" does show a flask with a bent spout, it doesn't elaborate on it.

Crane Senior:
Your flask appears to be what Ray Riling, the author of "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK" calls a "Shell and Brush" flask.
These flasks have some type of shell like pattern usually at the bottom with some sort of brushlike plant growing out of it.
A flask with a very similar, but not quite the same pattern to your flask's is # 336 on page 289 of the book.
The author says the pattern is characteristic of a pattern used by Capewell, a noted family who held a number of Patents on various flask features. The company also produced powder flasks but not as many as Dixon or the American Powder Flask Company.

As for the spout, "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK" does show a flask with a bent spout, it doesn't elaborate on it.
That is excellent. Any indication of approx age?

Sorry , I wish I could help but as you can see I'm not very knowledgeable about flasks either. But rest assured some more knowledgeable people will be along.

Which brings me to a question that I asked earlier "The use of flasks was mainly a military thing wasn't it"? I'am pretty sure you everday backwoodsman would have settled for a horn.

The nozzle should just screw off, I think it likely an Italian repro, a nice flask all the same. You can get extra nozzles from Track of the Wolf

Eutycus, I think one can also often see flasks used with pistols and especially revolvers. I have a small one I carry in my shooting bag for my 32 rifle. I still use a measure to load after the first shot just for safety sake. The small one is handy in the bag and eliminates one other thing to carry when hunting.

Back