• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success with Dutch Shoultz method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg B.

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I’m pretty new here but have been working with two different kit guns for a while now. A Crocket 32 was the first gun I built. I then built a GPR in 54. Both are percussion rifles. I have been working with the Crockett for months trying to squeeze out all the accuracy I can get for squirrel hunting. I typically hunt with a high end .22 and a high end scope, so I was hoping for really stellar accuracy out to 30-35 yards with the Crockett. Until recently I couldn’t get what I wanted.

I’ve put approximately 200 balls down range, both .310 and .315. I was pretty settled on .315 ball, .018 pillow ticking, and 15 grains of 3f Swiss. This combo outperformed all others, but I still got 1-2 fliers in 5 shots. Not bad, but an inch or two high. Enough to cleanly miss a squirrel for sure.

last week I purchased Dutch Schoultz’s book online. Received a call from Dutch’s daughter the following day that they were having trouble emailing it to me. After giving her a new email address I received it within minutes. Was very impressed with the level of service and the call. I read the whole book in one day.
While a lot of the book covered things I already knew or things I was already doing, the book caused me to think in a new way and introduced a few new issues. I realized that my lube method wasn’t very precise. I was using track’s mink oil but there was no way to keep the lube exactly the same from patch to patch (cutting at the muzzle). I decided to try his dry patch method after reviewing his sample targets and his analysis. I felt that this was pointing toward either the inconsistent lube or perhaps not enough powder.
I soaked a strip in 7/1 water to ballistol and dried according to Dutch’s instructions. The next day I shot a group of 4 using the same powder load. Comparing my target to those in Dutch’s book I saw improvement with shot placement (smaller vertical stringing) but still wasn’t totally happy. I then tried a bit more powder (20 grains) based on his recommendation. BINGO! Best group so far. At 25 grains things opened back up again so I shot another group of 4 with 20 grains. Again BINGO! All shots wishing squirrel head size target at 25 yards. Here’s the first group with this combo.

Attachments

• A2E0A804-FAEA-419A-8468-2F6279DD3CD9.jpeg
    A2E0A804-FAEA-419A-8468-2F6279DD3CD9.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 90
In short, the book caused me to think about a few things I wasn’t really thinking about. While trying different things one at a time I still couldn’t get the consistency I was looking for. I think the method in the book caused me to go back to basics and try keeping everything as simple and consistent as possible. This appears to have worked for me. It came down to having a consistent lube. I thought I had that but then realized that some were lubed more than others. I’m impressed with his book and it helped me

I’m pretty new here but have been working with two different kit guns for a while now. A Crocket 32 was the first gun I built. I then built a GPR in 54. Both are percussion rifles. I have been working with the Crockett for months trying to squeeze out all the accuracy I can get for squirrel hunting. I typically hunt with a high end .22 and a high end scope, so I was hoping for really stellar accuracy out to 30-35 yards with the Crockett. Until recently I couldn’t get what I wanted.

I’ve put approximately 200 balls down range, both .310 and .315. I was pretty settled on .315 ball, .018 pillow ticking, and 15 grains of 3f Swiss. This combo outperformed all others, but I still got 1-2 fliers in 5 shots. Not bad, but an inch or two high. Enough to cleanly miss a squirrel for sure.

last week I purchased Dutch Schoultz’s book online. Received a call from Dutch’s daughter the following day that they were having trouble emailing it to me. After giving her a new email address I received it within minutes. Was very impressed with the level of service and the call. I read the whole book in one day.
While a lot of the book covered things I already knew or things I was already doing, the book caused me to think in a new way and introduced a few new issues. I realized that my lube method wasn’t very precise. I was using track’s mink oil but there was no way to keep the lube exactly the same from patch to patch (cutting at the muzzle). I decided to try his dry patch method after reviewing his sample targets and his analysis. I felt that this was pointing toward either the inconsistent lube or perhaps not enough powder.
I soaked a strip in 7/1 water to ballistol and dried according to Dutch’s instructions. The next day I shot a group of 4 using the same powder load. Comparing my target to those in Dutch’s book I saw improvement with shot placement (smaller vertical stringing) but still wasn’t totally happy. I then tried a bit more powder (20 grains) based on his recommendation. BINGO! Best group so far. At 25 grains things opened back up again so I shot another group of 4 with 20 grains. Again BINGO! All shots wishing squirrel head size target at 25 yards. Here’s the first group with this combo.
Had similar experience with Dutch’s system when I first tried it years ago. At the time (not sure today because of his health and vision) he seemed to love corresponding through email if you had any questions.

For what it is worth, I use Ballistic Products 1-1/2 buck in my 32 caliber guns. A bit harder that pure lead and maybe a few thousands over publishes diameter, but have found then to be very accurate.

I have 1000 hornady balls at .315 to get through as I got them on sale a while back but I may try that when I burn through these (which may be awhile).

I’ve been using his system for over twenty years. The booklet he snail mailed me way back then has been lost for years but I read it so many times it’s ingrained in my brain lol.

While many of the concepts and instructions seem like common sense, I hadn’t thought of them. It certainly caused me to rethink what I thought I was doing correctly. Turns out that’s all it took to get better groups. The squirrels are in trouble

Don't forget the weight differences... I had 2 boxes of .445 balls that had a 50% fail with the +/- 2 grains... with bigger caliber, 2 grains is not as significant, but with .445 caliber, its substantial!

Shoot straight, good luck and God bless,
Rodd

I was thinking about buying so of the buckshot if I can catch it in stock. Has anyone weighed it to check consistency? I have had good luck in tightening my groups and keeping them in the round by swabbing between shots.
Ferret Master

I was thinking about buying so of the buckshot if I can catch it in stock. Has anyone weighed it to check consistency? I have had good luck in tightening my groups and keeping them in the round by swabbing between shots.
Ferret Master
The Ballistic Products 1-1/2 buck isn’t the most consistent weight wise, but at 25 yards they will say in a dime sized group with my 32 Pedersoli flinter and 12 grains of fff Swiss when shooting off of a solid rest. Starting to open up at 50 yards, but I really don’t shoot that distance much with the gun.

I did weigh 33 samples when I received 8 pounds of the buckshot. My data sheet shows an average weight of 45.59 grains, with a standard deviation of .2474 grains. Min weight 45.2, max 46.2.

That’s not bad. May have to try some. Still haven’t seen a dime sized group but I’m still working on it! I think I’m approaching the point that it’s my eyes holding me back

I've worked the system, and it works. I still need to buy a scale to weigh balls; that's the one part of the system I havent done yet. I'm sure it matters. I shot a 1.73" group from a bench at 50yds last time out, and think the ball weight consistency can shrink it some. I can play around with powder/charge some too but have been happy with 80gr or 2f Swiss. I use 7:1 patch lube mix too.

What’s the link for this book please? Perhaps others, including myself, would send some business his way, and I so doing, send the “business end” of our muzzleloader closer to the same hole!

Back