• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

San Diego?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I live in San Diego. I shoot at Rainbow Range up near Temecula.
Mainly my Lyman GPR and a couple Pedersoli muskets.
I have a number of C&B revolvers, but haven't shot any of them in a while.

What BP gun(s) are you staring with?

Joe

Hi. I shoot at South Bay Rod & Gun Club. They have a group there, but I didn't find them very warm. They were a bit clique-ish, so I just shoot at the regular range with everyone else. I shoot flint and cap, and revolvers too. My kids are into it, too!

I just shot at SBR&GC today. First timer, my first ML and first time shooting a ML. I loved it, not to say that I didn't have some newbie challenges. The range officer was great and I met a couple that are the regular ML folks and they were terrific. My encounter was favorable, maybe you caught someone on a bad day, we all have them.

I’m in San Diego and belong to SBR&GC and like it. I went to their monthly ML shoot last weekend and had a ball. Everyone seemed to be very friendly. Also, working on Escondido Fish and Game it’s closer for me than SBR&GC. Everyone at Escondido has been great, really nice facility, however the waiting list is pretty long to join, but I’m working on it and getting in line.

Crane Senior, I was at the SBR&GC on Sunday for the shoot as well. First time participating had a good time, saw lots of good shooters with some beautiful guns. I was at the Far East or right end of the firing line.

This is total serendipity, very funny. Have a great time with your grandson, I’m working on mine. Has your grandson shot before or is this his first time?

Any muzzleloaders in San Diego CA area? Just got into muzzleloading.
You might check with the "Laguna Mountain Rendezvous" group. I too am new to the fur trade era (been shooting BP for some time in another circle). The wife and I have found them very friendly but have not been able to get that far south but for a couple times a year as we are from San Fernando Valley area. Up here we just go solo to Angel's Shooting Range when ever we can, not at all the same as a REAL range.
Check their site out; Rendezvous coming up!

I just went to SBR&GC and had a good time with some nice folks.

Only one issue, I drive a Corvette and did not know about the dirt road. Is there anywhere in SD that I can reach purely on pavement?

Escondido Fish & Game is private but has an open BP shoot the last Sunday of each month. Good people and fun as well. I’ve attended both South Bay and Escondido both great folk. Paved roads to Escondido but it’s an 18 month to join however that doesn’t prevent you from going to the open shoots. I belong to SBR&G.

Hello,

Glad you guys had a better experience with the ML crowd at SBRGC than I did. I gave it a couple more tries and pretty much had the same experience. I don't think it's me, though, because the non-ML guys at the regular range are pretty friendly and interested in what I'm doing. I just joined the Imperial Valley club which is WAY less expensive and a lot less of a hassle to shoot. The problem is it's an hour further away. My kids don't mind because there are a couple of pizza joints out there they like, so as long as there's pizza in the deal, they'll go shoot with me. :)

Skyhigh, where are you stationed? I was in the Rainbow club, as my home was 20 min away in Fallbrook. Very nice range, incredibly noisy when somebody shows up with some carbine like a Bushmaster, but otherwise, very nice. They even let Doc and me shoot tin cans there as well! Try them out, the memberships aren't too expensive. Tinhorn

I’m surprised you had a bad experience at South Bay. I got there on Tuesdays and everyone is great. I shoot both BP and an unmentionable, but really like my BP. I haven’t been to Rainbow but it shouldn’t take you an hour. I live it RB and Rainbow is about 30 min from my house.

I was born in El Cajon and lived off and on in Cal. til I was 18 years old. In the 50's it was a great place for a kid to be, out on Kearny mesa with a rifle. Nowadays I think Kearny mesa is a giant neighborhood. The politics of the state keep me from even visiting anymore. I am always armed and they don't like that much over there. I get along here in Az. just fine. It does do my heart good to hear that BP shooting is alive and well over there though.

I was born in El Cajon and lived off and on in Cal. til I was 18 years old. In the 50's it was a great place for a kid to be, out on Kearny mesa with a rifle. Nowadays I think Kearny mesa is a giant neighborhood. The politics of the state keep me from even visiting anymore. I am always armed and they don't like that much over there. I get along here in Az. just fine. It does do my heart good to hear that BP shooting is alive and well over there though.
You’re right, San Diego is one big neighborhood now. I live in North Country and where I live I guy I knew said he used to hunt quail where I live. AZ has had the same urban creep, I used to go to AZ in the early 70’s and it’s changed a lot since then.

Back