• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crumpled old books sheets for wadding?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runewolf1973

The Crown & Cutlass
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to think of a more readily available, convenient way of carrying around a supply of wadding for my smoothbore. I thought well why don't I just get myself an old book and tear out and crumple up the sheets as needed for use as wadding? It already comes in a nice, convenient, bound liitle package. I'm curious if historically they would have used the occasional book sheet to wad their guns? It seems reasonable to think they would have done this under certain circumstances, but I don't know... Easier to find and less trouble to obtain than wasp nests or tow for me anyways. Whaddya figure?

What else would some illiterate 18th century frontiersman do with an old book he found? Gun wadding perhaps?:dunno:

Last edited:
One company that I’ve seen sells period newspaper for making cartridges with, to get a good look.
Books were expensive back then and paper in books was rag paper and recyclable.
Most books that one might find on the frontier would be the Bible, or religious works. Cutting up such was bad luck. Should you have secular works like Gulliver's travels or Shakespeare or the Iliad, and know how to read you would be loath to cut it up.
Maybe an illiterate might get a book and cut it up, but as said they were valuable. You might want to trade it off.
Back then ain’t today. Paper makes a handy wad. A cheap paperback picked up at yard sale will give you shooting for a bit. And books did get ruined back then. If a man would be loath to tear up a book, he would also be loath to discarding something he could find use for.

years ago I would use brown KRAFT paper bags the kind you got in the store be fore the advent of one time plastic bags. over powder and over shot or round ball. now I use paper hornets nest, inside comb and all even the PEAUPA / BABIES that didn't make it and all.

years ago I would use brown KRAFT paper bags the kind you got in the store be fore the advent of one time plastic bags. over powder and over shot or round ball. now I use paper hornets nest, inside comb and all even the PEAUPA / BABIES that didn't make it and all.
I use wasp nest when I can get it. I feel more comfortable about the fire retardant wadding.
When I want to conserve my supply I use borax treated news paper to mimic the wasp nest materials. This is what I use for my target shooting and hunting loads.
we shoot a lot more frequently than most 18th century shooters did I think. Our resources are greater and more easily accessible.
Shooting close to the same as those living in the 18th century is about the best I can do.
LBL

The old sears and roebuck used to suffice in the out house, man those slick picture pages didn't do much good, but if that is all you had, they carefully worked.
Wadding book pages for loads is a smite fire hazard, isn't it? In this day and age we don't shoot nearly as much as they did in the 18th century. I even wonder if the rendezvous had that much shooting. Doesn't make too much sense to blow a years worth of trade powder and lead, unless it very lucrative. I bet more knife throwing, tomahawk throwing, and archery was done more than shooting, even wrestling, and boozing it up.

I was trying to think of a more readily available, convenient way of carrying around a supply of wadding for my smoothbore. I thought well why don't I just get myself an old book and tear out and crumple up the sheets as needed for use as wadding? It already comes in a nice, convenient, bound liitle package. I'm curious if historically they would have used the occasional book sheet to wad their guns? It seems reasonable to think they would have done this under certain circumstances, but I don't know... Easier to find and less trouble to obtain than wasp nests or tow for me anyways. Whaddya figure?

What else would some illiterate 18th century frontiersman do with an old book he found? Gun wadding perhaps?:dunno:
maybe just maybe he took it to the PRIVEY / OUT HOUSE ????? and used it as a short roll and the SEARS CATALOGE was the giant roll??

The old sears and roebuck used to suffice in the out house, man those slick picture pages didn't do much good, but if that is all you had, they carefully worked.
Wadding book pages for loads is a smite fire hazard, isn't it? In this day and age we don't shoot nearly as much as they did in the 18th century. I even wonder if the rendezvous had that much shooting. Doesn't make too much sense to blow a years worth of trade powder and lead, unless it very lucrative. I bet more knife throwing, tomahawk throwing, and archery was done more than shooting, even wrestling, and boozing it up.
it was better than using WAX PAPER !!!

We have found brown paper bag material to work well in ML shotguns, but don't know how historically correct it would be. It doesn't seem to be as flammable as rag book paper.
well it Shure comes from a tree!!

I use wasp nest when I can get it. I feel more comfortable about the fire retardant wadding.
When I want to conserve my supply I use borax treated news paper to mimic the wasp nest materials. This is what I use for my target shooting and hunting loads.
we shoot a lot more frequently than most 18th century shooters did I think. Our resources are greater and more easily accessible.
Shooting close to the same as those living in the 18th century is about the best I can do.
LBL
WASP NEST is naturally fire retardant / resistant and will not set the woods a fire that is one reason that the old timers used it, and because of availably the other.

Heyyou48307, WOW! , that is just about the greatest comeback / reply that I have heard of for using political books . I am still laughing, KUDDOS to you.

As has been previously stated by other people here and liked a wasp or hornet nest was used often, back when he was alive and it was possible to purchase them V M Starr had some wads for multiple gauges, not sure what they were made of. I bought 5000 of them many years ago and I ain't run out yet, once in a while I see old Alcan or Herter fiber wads available at certain sites or in thrift/junk shops. I don't know if it was ever used back years ago, but seems a person might be able to take a seasoned/ dried corn cob and make a wad out of the pith/center of one could be cut to the correct diameter using a short piece of pipe for what ever size you might require. Also over shot wads can be made from egg cartons.

As has been previously stated by other people here and liked a wasp or hornet nest was used often, back when he was alive and it was possible to purchase them V M Starr had some wads for multiple gauges, not sure what they were made of. I bought 5000 of them many years ago and I ain't run out yet, once in a while I see old Alcan or Herter fiber wads available at certain sites or in thrift/junk shops. I don't know if it was ever used back years ago, but seems a person might be able to take a seasoned/ dried corn cob and make a wad out of the pith/center of one could be cut to the correct diameter using a short piece of pipe for what ever size you might require. Also over shot wads can be made from egg cartons.

Fiber wads that we see in the late 19 century Did not exsist in most of the muzzle loading era.Toe straw grass cloth Wooden plugs 17th & 18 th century were common some times leather and paper. Paper however was scarce in the 17th and early 18th century .The 19 th century and industrial age We see Felt wads composit wads card board and paper wads etc were common from the 1860s to present I have been shooting and hunting exclusively with smooth bore muskets for well over 50 years .I use toe or paper for wadding or green grass roll it in ball ram down on the charge I have excellent results doing this with my matchlock musket .

Back