• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My 1851 is here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sine_Timore

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got my 1851 navy today. Turns out it's a Uberti. Could have sworn it was a Pietta when I ordered it, but the important thing is I finally have it. Can't wait to shoot it.

Attachments

• 20200526_185645.jpg
    20200526_185645.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 134
Colt's 1851! One of my all time favorite bp firearms. Uberti makes a great copy. I've had several and they all shot very well.

I make cartridges from cigarette papers and round balls. Makes loading a breeze as you just drop the paper cartridge containing powder and ball in to the cylinder and seat fully. Cap the nipples with a cap loader and it's time for smoke!

T

Do get a proper pistol sized nipple wrench and remove the factory nipples. Uberti nipples have been known to have been installed so tight that they are difficult to remove. I always remove the nipples and reinstall using anti seize lubricant. Do get a set of gunmakers screwdrivers to fit the screws in your pistol. Most of the Italian screw heads are soft and an ill fitting screw driver will mar them. Take you pistol apart to clean all the factory preservative grease from everything.

If it is a 36 caliber pistol, get the 0.380 balls. Uberti usually has a 0.375" diameter hole in the cylinder and you need to shave a ring of lead from the ball on loading for proper fit.

Do get a proper pistol sized nipple wrench and remove the factory nipples. Uberti nipples have been known to have been installed so tight that they are difficult to remove. I always remove the nipples and reinstall using anti seize lubricant. Do get a set of gunmakers screwdrivers to fit the screws in your pistol. Most of the Italian screw heads are soft and an ill fitting screw driver will mar them. Take you pistol apart to clean all the factory preservative grease from everything.

If it is a 36 caliber pistol, get the 0.380 balls. Uberti usually has a 0.375" diameter hole in the cylinder and you need to shave a ring of lead from the ball on loading for proper fit.
There is a rumor that the Italians have this 800 lb. gorilla named Luigi that does the tightening on the nipples before the gun leaves the factory. Not sure who owns him Urberti or Pietta or maybe they share him or each has their own. But either way the nipples are usually very tight.

Get the good nipple wrench from Tedd Cash, or maybe one that is made from a socket. Speaking of nipples, Uberti nipples are not known for their uniformity or proper sizing. You may or may not have much success getting caps to fit well. You may end up needing to get some from TRESO or some other.

There is a rumor that the Italians have this 800 lb. gorilla named Luigi that does the tightening on the nipples before the gun leaves the factory. Not sure who owns him Urberti or Pietta or maybe they share him or each has their own. But either way the nipples are usually very tight.
That is not true. His name is Guido.

I got my 1851 navy today. Turns out it's a Uberti. Could have sworn it was a Pietta when I ordered it, but the important thing is I finally have it. Can't wait to shoot it.

In my opinion you got the better gun (Uberti), just make sure you get the packing gunk out of the charge holes (holes in cylinder powder/ball goes in) and bore, fire a cap from each nipple before you load. Have fun with it, as that's the point.
As in your other thread after you are done shooting for the day, pull the barrel and cylinder and clean them in the kitchen sink, clean the frame etc NOT IN THE SINK but at a table or bench with a clean old (or new) tooth brush, some solvent, rags, etc, then oil it.

P.S. The tooth brush was invented in West Virginia or it would have been called a teeth brush.

In my opinion you got the better gun (Uberti), just make sure you get the packing gunk out of the charge holes (holes in cylinder powder/ball goes in) and bore, fire a cap from each nipple before you load. Have fun with it, as that's the point.
As in your other thread after you are done shooting for the day, pull the barrel and cylinder and clean them in the kitchen sink, clean the frame etc NOT IN THE SINK but at a table or bench with a clean old (or new) tooth brush, some solvent, rags, etc, then oil it.

P.S. The tooth brush was invented in West Virginia or it would have been called a teeth brush.
Thank you for that! I seriously laughed out loud over the West Virginia part. I needed that laugh today.

I thought it was Arkansas but no matter.
Cleaning black powder residue , which is all I use, cleans nicely with warm to room temp. water or a 1:10 mixture of Ballistol and water. About every 200 to 300 rounds it is necessary to clean out the frame. Mike Beliveau
(duelist 1954) has some excellent tutorial U Tube videos on the care, cleaning maintenance and shooting black powder revolvers. I highly recommend his material for new or old shooters.
Personally I prefer Pietta, because workmanship and fit are better since they went to CNC manufacture but take your choice.
Respectfully
Bunk

Back