• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehouse

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, was wandering if I could get a some info or just advise. I've had this old CVA forever and wanting to get er back to life. It is missing a few parts barrel pin,rear plate but most importantly the butt plug and the nipple.

I know she's not even close to the weapons I've seen on here but she is mine.

I live in N E Texas and just don't really have any contacts to folks that are into muzzle loaders. I always liked em and now an old man with kidos I'd like to bring some real world heritage and knowledge to my boys and let them see it first hand.

Is my girl worth saving or should I just let her hang above the fireplace and remind me of the memories as a youngster.

Thank yal for your time and consideration

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_120508869.jpg
    IMG_20200524_120508869.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20200524_120442775.jpg
    IMG_20200524_120442775.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20200524_120454033.jpg
    IMG_20200524_120454033.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20200524_120433744.jpg
    IMG_20200524_120433744.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20200524_120539747.jpg
    IMG_20200524_120539747.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 160
You can get some parts via Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gunworks, Log Cabin Sport ship.
Since it’s older you may not get ‘real parts’ you may have to get some ‘blanks’ and file them to fit. That’s a little time consuming but you can work it out in a weekend or two.

Not only is it worth saving, it is almost mandatory you do so. In case you didn't know what you have there is the CVA Mountain rifle. It is many peoples opinion and mine that it is the best production gun CVA ever sold and you have the made in USA barrel thought to be made by Douglas. The pieces you need are a but plate, barrel Drum and a barrel wedge. All those parts should be attained without too much trouble. Good luck on your project, it is worth while and I'm sure if you didn't want to do it, there are many people out there that would love to.

Not only is it worth saving, it is almost mandatory you do so. In case you didn't know what you have there is the CVA Mountain rifle. It is many peoples opinion and mine that it is the best production gun CVA ever sold and you have the made in USA barrel thought to be made by Douglas. The pieces you need are a but plate, barrel Drum and a barrel wedge. All those parts should be attained without too much trouble. Good luck on your project, it is worth while and I'm sure if you didn't want to do it, there are many people out there that would love to.
Thank yal I didn't know all this I actually was given this gun by a man out in Utah when I was around 15 and he started me on the black powder hunting world and as I said even as a youngster I truly enjoyed it. I stripped and stained the stock that many years ago and this is one gun that has followed me since then even though it was unusable. That old coot made an undeniable mark in my life that will never be forgotten. Now me being the old coot I hope my boys have the same memories of this gem when I'm gone.

Again thanks to all of yal I will put er back together and I'm sure she'll be posted on here with pride.

Deer Creek is the first place to go to. If you don't find it on their web site don't be afraid to call, nice people, and they may have something laying around they haven't listed. They have the butt plate, screws and wedge in stock and may be able to fix you up with a drum and nipple. You'll also find the exploded view and parts numbers there. By all means get that gun back in shooting condition.

http://www.deercreekproducts.net/
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm EST

Phone: 765.525.6181

Thank you I have been looking at them got all the parts but the drum and nipple so I will call them Tuesday. They do have it all.

Another source of parts for CVA is Deer Creek. Google them for their link.
I'm from the Red River Valley, close to the river. Hunted a lot in East Texas.
They do have the parts.
I have hunted Red River County just west of Texarkana and have family still up that way. Was always good hunting and was fortunate to take some rather nice deer.

The drum will be the hard part. Removal would have violated the warranty provisions offered by CVA.

Let's take a better look at the drum you want to replace thanks to @Zonie's picture.
1590364903750.png

Getting the cross drilled access to the flash channel will be the hard part. Some replacement drums go only part way through the breech leaving the void on the far side of the drum.

I wish you success.

They do have the parts.
I have hunted Red River County just west of Texarkana and have family still up that way. Was always good hunting and was fortunate to take some rather nice deer.

I hope you get her back to shooting shape. The smell of black powder is intoxicating. I'm in Wichita county, on the red. Been thru Red River County many times. I've hunted in Anderson county on Type 2 land, along the Neches river. Also hunted on the Caddo Natl. Grasslands close to Paris Tx.

Keep us posted on developments.

Last edited:
My 54 is a CVA Mt Rifle with a Spanish barrel. I put an L&R lock on it to make it a flinter. Great rifle. Goes off, kills deer. It’s not fancy but it’s a worker.

@David Coulter, I have always heard that you cannot convert a CVA percussion gun into a flintlock, so I am curious how you did it, and was it easy or difficult.I have a CVA Kentucky rifle in percussion I would love to convert to flint if I could. Advice from others would be appreciated as well.

Tom

Hi Tom, that was my first build. The kit was a gift and I had no experience. I got A ton of help from Dennis at Longhunter’s in Portland, Pa. I knew I wanted a sparker to hunt the late season. Dennis found the L&R Manton lock the closest fit. As I remember there was some additional inletting and hole drilling and installing of a White Lightning touch hole. The lock was originally hard on flints but L&R retuned it for me. Only one time did that fail to fire when I was hunting and the buck stood still for me to recock and fire. The reason it didn’t go the first time was I discovered I had the stone in a little crooked. I’m actually eating some stroganoff from that deer for lunch now.
Does that help any? Mine was a raw kit and I don’t know that that makes much of a difference. Dc

You also need the height adjustment screw for the rear sight, which could be gotten from a hardware store if you weren't ordering other parts. Dixie had the drum a few years ago when I needed one.

Last edited:
@David Coulter, I have always heard that you cannot convert a CVA percussion gun into a flintlock, so I am curious how you did it, and was it easy or difficult.I have a CVA Kentucky rifle in percussion I would love to convert to flint if I could. Advice from others would be appreciated as well.

Tom
I don't know who you were listening to but I disagree with them. Actually, converting a CVA from a percussion lock into a flintlock isn't that hard for someone who knows how to saw, file and thread steel parts.

A cutaway of the breech looks like this:

CVA BREECH web-01.jpg

As you can see, if the drum that extends outside the barrel is cut off and filed flush with the side flat on the barrel you will end up with the remains of the drum threaded into the barrel and breech plug. Because there is an existing flame channel running thru the middle of what is left of the drum, the next task is to drill out the mouth of that hole to the correct size for a flintlock vent liner thread.
After threading this tap drilled hole to the right thread size, the vent liner can be screwed in place until its outer face is flush with the filed face on what is left of the drum. Except for bluing or browning the barrel, it is ready to be used as a flintlock.

The real question is, is a CVA rifle worth paying for a new $100 - $150 lock and can you find one that will fit the mortise in the stock?

Then there is the question that everyone who is interested in shooting a flintlock must be able to say "yes" to. That question is, "Can you get real black powder in your area and if not, are you willing to buy some "on line" and pay the Hazmat fee to have it delivered?"

Flintlocks need real black powder to work well. They work poorly or not at all with the modern synthetic black powder substitutes.

Last edited:
The only answer I have for that was my teacher suggested getting a reliable lock. He wanted me to have a good experience. I can’t say anything about a CVA flintlock but I also built one for a friend who kept it as percussion. That was far less reliable than my flint.

Back