• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Inside job

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I’m sure it’s been covered but I can’t seem to get the right words in the search.
I’m building a full walnut stock PA fowler. How should I be finishing or coating the areas of the stock that will be covered, such as under the lock and barrel channel? Thanks, dc

I "paint them" with epoxy to prevent cracking, warping, rotting etc.

I do work on wooden boats as well so always have a few "gallons" of marine epoxy around. I mix up a small batch and paint the barrel channel (just the bottom three flats), lock inlet, under the tang, under the nosecap before final installation etc - just put a good coat on and if it sinks right in then give it another coat.

That makes it stable, totally weather proof and "stronger than the wood alone" when it cures. No, not HC but will keep those parts painted "historic" for the rest of my days.

Hi David,
I also seal those internal spaces using thinned finish, in my case, Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. However, keep in mind that the wood may swell with the finish so sometimes lock parts start to rub on the swelled wood and butt plates don't fit quite as well as before the stock was sealed. using Acra Glas is fine but don't be fooled into thinking the stock is sealed unless you paint the whole thing with epoxy. The finish you put on the rest of the wood likely will still be permeable to water vapor regardless of how well the mortices were "sealed".
dave

Dave, thanks for your thoughts. Initially, I was only going to epoxy the butt due to contact with the ground. Then I had to glue in a small piece that chipped under the lock. I used wood glue for that but figured I might as well put a coat of acraglas on that while I was doing the butt. Then reading a thread on protecting the pinned barrel on a fowler got me to wondering about the stock. Since I’m doing a linseed finish on the outside I wondered about the inside. Thanks, dc

Cover as much as you can, including the inside of the RR hole. That will keep the atmospheric moisture exchange even throughout the gun. Pay particular care to get it in there with end grain, like under the BP. It can be a little problematic under removable inlays (like the PB) as the swelling wood from the finish can make it hard to get a flush fit again with those parts.

finish the whole gun inside and out. under the butt plate when it fits perfectly get the cheap watery super glue. put into the wood under the butt plate so the wood is totally sealed. the reason for this way is to make sure the stock does not take on moisture from the air and it should be dry when you finish it. that way your gun will never grow or shrink. ive built a lot of side locks and have done this to all of them i live in a high dry county like that of denver. my guns have gone to florida and nothing changes with them when they get their and stays their. make your gun so it never ever draws moisture no matter where it ends up. cun ends of wood draw moisture like a straw. seal them with cheap liquid super glue and penetrating finishes.

Back