• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wooden utensles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few wodden utensles the need some refininsing. I have read not to use vegge or olive oil. I saw it is ok to use mineral oil. is that any mineral oil or do i need to get some thing speical? What has every one found that you like to use. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

I have a few wodden utensles the need some refininsing. I have read not to use vegge or olive oil. I saw it is ok to use mineral oil. is that any mineral oil or do i need to get some thing speical? What has every one found that you like to use. Any help on this would be great. Thanks
Get food grade mineral oil. Works very well and is safe.

Spence

look in the laxatives section of the store, this is food safe. it will soak in to the wood quickly and not give you a laxative affect. don't be afraid to reoil regularly

I use food grade butcher block conditioner from one of the big box home supply stores. Works great. Its mostly a mineral oil base I believe.

Vegetable oil goes rancid after a time-so no. Linseed oil takes a long time to dry-so maybe not. Modern BLO has certain chemicals in it that can be harmful-so no. Not sure about Tung oil. Depending on the wood untreated can take on odors and tastes.

My guess is you'll get some push-back from folks on this but honestly, I've been carving wooden spoons, canoe cups and bowls for years and have ALWAYS used olive oil to finish them off. You'll definitely need to recoat the item from time to time (especially if you use the item a lot) but I've never had any issues with it. If my memory serves me correctly, olive oil, called "sweet oil" during the 18th century, has been used for years. To me this is like the "how do I clean my musket" discussion that pops up all the time. Some folks just use water as was traditionally done and other's have concocted personal formulas using all sorts of liquids that didn't exist during the 18th century. If that's what you want to do...great! No worries but don't forget that the old ways still work in today's world. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I carve some spoons and use walnut oil from the local grocery store. Wipe on generously and paper towel off. Looks great to me. Some use a little bee wax Too but I never tried it.

036CC716-F3CF-445C-88A2-165CB0B3E6F5.jpeg

I don't carve wooden utensils or even treat them much but do use them often in the kitchen. Just using them will help keep them oiled between hand oils and the oils and fats encountered in cooking. I suppose if I needed to I'd just use olive or cooking oil to treat them. I have one spoon that was carved by my great grandpa that is used occasionally. It was never old as far as I can see.

I don't carve wooden utensils or even treat them much but do use them often in the kitchen. Just using them will help keep them oiled between hand oils and the oils and fats encountered in cooking. I suppose if I needed to I'd just use olive or cooking oil to treat them. I have one spoon that was carved by my great grandpa that is used occasionally. It was never old as far as I can see.

Exactly, if you use them they don't need treating. Treating is for show. If any part of it has been charred from making or from use what good will oil do ?

Try food grade mineral oil , it's tasteless and won't spoil .... I use it on my cast iron and carbon steel pans.

I use nothing. Plain wood. I found hot liquids or food causes oil to separate and float. Not the best cup of java when that happens. Exception is my salad bowls are treated with olive oil for non-pc eating.

Latest posts

Back