• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

been a great week 3 new muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
been a great week bought 3 muzzleloaders this week. a zoli zouve a zoli buffalo hunter and a pedersoli 12 Gaige percussion. now have to figure out nipple size for eack got the buffalo hunter because of a hunter killed some animals in Africa I read in the article in lyman manual about this guy named val

I had a smoothbore version of the hunter. They are great but mine had a weak hammer spring.
I also had many years ago the smoothbore version of the zoli zouarve.
Very accurate with a ball.

been a great week bought 3 muzzleloaders this week. a zoli zouve a zoli buffalo hunter and a pedersoli 12 Gaige percussion. now have to figure out nipple size for eack got the buffalo hunter because of a hunter killed some animals in Africa I read in the article in lyman manual about this guy named val

Pedersoli 12 gauge is 1/4 X 28.

Not a bad week. Tried to purchase a Buffalo Hunter a couple of times, but the deals always seemed to fall through for a variety of reasons. Good for you.

Yeah, Val Forgett is one of the icons and heroes of modern American muzzleloading, and actually we can thank him the start of the Italian replica wave. Somewhere around here I have several books that tell the story of his business efforts, and how he recruited the Italian gun makers, went on safari to Africa and started Navy Arms.

Great pick ups, but you said three. What was the third one?

"now have to figure out nipple size for each"

I believe you'll find the Zolis take an 8 mm nipple, don't try to screw a 5/16-24 in there. you can buy them from Track of the Wolf for #11 caps or musket caps.

Nice score on the rifles, I bought a Buffalo Hunter from Val at Friendship years ago because they were so light weight for a .58 cal. rifle & easier to hunt with in Idaho's steep mountains. I wanted to use rifle sized caps instead of musket so an old timer introduced me to Treso nipples many years ago & have stuck with them as they are U.S. made & have been popular for decades because their tiny vent holes produce a hot & fast ignition. They also make nipples that will use your choice of rifle or musket size caps for most rifles & most dealers sell them.
The ampco material used to mfg the nipples is so tough that I'm still using the same nipples & touch hole liners on my pistols & rifles that I installed about 40 years ago. If you don't like the brass color of the ampco material you can permanently blacken them with a Q-tip & a dab of Birchwood Casey brass or aluminum black.

Yeah, Val Forgett is one of the icons and heroes of modern American muzzleloading, and actually we can thank him the start of the Italian replica wave. Somewhere around here I have several books that tell the story of his business efforts, and how he recruited the Italian gun makers, went on safari to Africa and started Navy Arms.

Great pick ups, but you said three. What was the third one?
his article in the old ;lymman maual is what made me pursue a buffalo hunter

Howie,
You are the MAN!
Which Pedersoli 12 gauge percussion did you get?

This past month I had a conversation with a gentleman from Colorado about an upcoming muzzleloader bear hunt out there and he asked what kind of rifle I'd be using. I told him my .58 Chambers ESR. He said he used a .58 Navy Hawken just like Val Forgett used in Africa. He said that he didn't use the same load as Forgett used, which was 180 gr of fffg (3f!) under a 610gr minnie ball. He just used 150gr of ffg under a 505gr minnie ball. I told him I didn't want a bear bad enough to use either of those loads...!

Howie,
You are the MAN!
Which Pedersoli 12 gauge percussion did you get?

This past month I had a conversation with a gentleman from Colorado about an upcoming muzzleloader bear hunt out there and he asked what kind of rifle I'd be using. I told him my .58 Chambers ESR. He said he used a .58 Navy Hawken just like Val Forgett used in Africa. He said that he didn't use the same load as Forgett used, which was 180 gr of fffg (3f!) under a 610gr minnie ball. He just used 150gr of ffg under a 505gr minnie ball. I told him I didn't want a bear bad enough to use either of those loads...!
I bought the pedersoli that was listed here in the classifieds. It's a older one but the barrel was stamped 18.3 which I am told is cylinder bore. I wanted a cylinder bore to shoot .690 groundballs out of for hunting/tracking pigs. I've got a kodiak .72 but it's way to heavy to be crawling through thickets. Alls I need is halfway decent accuracy at 15-20 yards. My buffalo hunter will be here tomorrow and my new suave is perfect

Back