• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Going to Make Smoke!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm finally getting ready to head to the range for a little shooting with Ear Rings on a Pig. My rebuilt CVA Hawken .54. I have my Black Powder, Caps, 530 and 535 Speer Balls, Cleaning Patches, Moose Milk, 5 different thicknesses of patching material Dry lubed using Dutch's method. I decided to weigh the Speer balls. The 530 balls had a reject rate of 15% lighter then the heaviest ball. The .535 had a reject rate of nearly 50%. Are Speer Balls Swagged? Looking forward to making Smoke Friday!

From what I've found out, commercial RB are swaged unless you get them from somebody like Track or Lodgewood. They have some folks casting for them.

Best way forward is cast your own.

according to Corbin, a round ball is the most difficult projectile to swage consistently.

Looks like you are very well set to have a great range day.

Speer RB's are swaged.
What range in grains were you sorting for?
In manufacturing products are ran within a "range" that is specified by their engineers as acceptable, such as +/- 2.0 grains. So if for example their target happens to be 225 grains for a .530 ball, the lightest accepted to send out to their customers is 223 grains and the heaviest would be 227 grains, for a possible extreme spread of 4.0 grains. The best box of product is when the machine making them is set up well and runs without any crashes or tooling breakage for the entire run. If there is a crash or some tooling fails, then it could be a completely different person that repairs the machine and dials everything back in (running 24/7 they will have 4 different shifts of folks). The first person may have had it set at a 224.5 grain average and the next sets it for 225.5 grains. Throw in the machines normal range it's capable of making a product and you are now easily looking at a 1.5 to 2.0 grain range.
I've had boxes that may have an extreme spread of about 1.2 grains and then the next is 3.0 grains. Luck of the draw.
I've weighed them out of curiosity, but haven't ever bothered to try to sort them for paper shooting. I've no idea how much spread would be acceptable before they would be "flyers" on a target.

I’ve shot both commercial swaged and my own cast, and cast ball I’ve bought. I can’t hold well enough I’ve noticed a difference.
Now about your earrings on a pig. I’ve seen a lot of guns made between 1840 and 1870 that look just like a CVA.
I doubt if you took seven original’plains guns and threw in three CVA and took a black and white photo that very many would be able to pick out the CVAs
Enjoy your gun.

Back