• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Front lock bolt blocking ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Kiebel

32 Cal
Reaction score
I finally finished my full stock flinter and forgot about the front lock bolt blocking the ramrod hole. I can only think of making a false front lock screw by cutting it off. Any advise would shirly be appreciated.:doh:

Mine ended up the same way. So I'm on the hunt for a curly maple dowel to make a for show rod to leave in the rifle and im making a loading rod out of brass.

Hi,
That happens on almost half of my fowling guns because I make them so slim and choose barrels with thick breeches. If the lock bolt only partially blocks the rod, turn a portion of the bolt in the middle thinner. Don't notch it, turn it on all sides so it does not have to always be returned in exactly the same way. If it is an 8-32 bolt, it can be easily reduced to a size 6 bolt stock. That may solve the problem but you have to remember to remove the ramrod before removing the lock bolt. If that is not enough, taper the end of the rod. If your bolt goes right through the middle of the ramrod hole, you may need to do what you originally suggested.

dave

I agree with Dave. Turn a waist and don't cut a notch. A tapered rod along with that will hopefully sove the problem.

Thank everyone for your suggestions. The bolt blocks the ramrod channel by about half. The good thing is that is the only screw up I made on the rifle. 153+ hours and $1000.00+ dollars.

If you have to cut the bolt down to close to half, go ahead and cut it for clearance along with narrowing the ramrod. Do it so the screw is clocked. That way you will only be off 90 degrees.

Have had this problem on a couple of custom made rifles, On the first one the gunsmith had filed a notch in the front screw, which meant you had to get the screw in the right position so the RR would pass, which was a pain. I discovered there was enough of the lock bolt to where I could turn the bolt down all around at the RR location to where its position doesn't matter. On the second one I put in a wooden plug on the sideplate side of the hole just short of the RR and installed a short fake (pan head sheet metal) screw, On the lock side installed a lock bolt with loctite and cut it off just short of the RR. The rear screw holds the lock on to the rifle and the front stud stops the torque of the lock. Hope this is clear. Your mileage may vary!

The rifle that I'm building now had he same problem. It may not be a 18th century fix, but I soldered a "spring" on the bottom flat of the barrel to direct the ramrod under the front lock bolt. The ramrod slides under the bolt and as an added benefit doesn't rattle around in the channel.

Thank you guys! I was able to file the front lock bolt enough to clear the ramrod and the bolt is still plenty strong. Love US steel!

I notched the bolt on my first build, seems like I always forgot to remove the ramrod before I pulled the lock for cleaning. I would turn the front lock bolt and put a ding in the ramrod.

I wasp waisted the bolt and everything worked out just fine.

front lock bolt.jpg

You can also taper the RR tip. Put a little chamfer on the front of it to help direct the RR toward the bottom of the hole. If you have the wood to spare, you can also enlarge the RR hole. That won't show under the entry pipe or the lower forearm.

In order, I would try the following;
Chamfer the RR tip
enlarge the RR hole. ---Make sure you have the spare wood to accommodate it though!
Groove the front lock bolt / change the lock bolt from a #8 to a # 6

I finally finished my full stock flinter and forgot about the front lock bolt blocking the ramrod hole. I can only think of making a false front lock screw by cutting it off. Any advise would shirly be appreciated.:doh:
I just flattened one side of the ramrod until it clears the screw. Not a problem to turn the rod a bit to get past.

Back