• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen the swiveling funnel on adjustable measures. This is the type that rotates horizontally to "strike off" the powder charge. All that I have seen are permanently attached to the measure.

The other type of attached funnel I have seen swivels vertically. These don't work worth a hoot, in my opinion, because you can't tip the measure upright enough to empty it and still keep the funnel in the muzzle. The ones I have seen are removable.

I believe both types mount on tubular measures with an OD of 1/2".

I think you'll probably need to build your own if you want a funnel on a fixed measure.

Notchy Bob

If you have a fixed 1/2” dia measure, hang one of these on it. Powder measure funnel and swivel only, brass - Track of the Wolf
The other type of attached funnel I have seen swivels vertically. These don't work worth a hoot, in my opinion, because you can't tip the measure upright enough to empty it and still keep the funnel in the muzzle. The ones I have seen are removable.

I believe both types mount on tubular measures with an OD of 1/2".

I think you'll probably need to build your own if you want a funnel on a fixed measure.

Notchy Bob

I think this is what Notchy Bob was talking about.

Personally, prefer the style that slide or swing over the end of the measure. Feel that once you have the powder settled, it cuts the powder even with the top if the measure. Probably doesn’t really matter except for precision shooting. Had one of the hinge type that was include with a gun I purchased. Never tried it and it’s long gone.

Notchy Bob

If it's this type, it looks like the funnel swings over the end. Place the finnel in the muzzle, swing measure vertical to dump powder in.
maf_1.jpg

I've been using a Ted Cash floppy funnel measure for 25+ years for all load work, and often shooting out of the bag. Works on my .40 caliber just fine. I have a .32 I have not tried with it yet, but will. It also works on my .751 Bess. I never cared for the strike off kind, too wasteful. Bone and antler measures fine tuned with a bit of clay in the bottom also are great.

I've only seen the swiveling funnel on adjustable measures. This is the type that rotates horizontally to "strike off" the powder charge. All that I have seen are permanently attached to the measure.

I have used both and see no advantage/disadvantage of one over the other. I also use fixed made from horn, antler,bone, wood, etc. Like 'em all.

If it's this type, it looks like the funnel swings over the end. Place the funnel in the muzzle, swing measure vertical to dump powder in.
View attachment 31697

Yep... That's the one.

If you have this type of funnel, the band needs to be at the end of the measure tube so allow the measure to be raised to a more vertical position.

View attachment 31739

Yep... I understand. Mine had a design flaw of some sort. Even with the collar at the bitter end of the tube, there was not enough clearance to tip the tube to vertical and pour out the powder. I took the funnel device off, and just use the adjustable measure without it, when I use an adjustable measure. Once I find a load that works, I like to use a fixed measure. I use a separate Pedersoli flask funnel in the muzzle of the gun to help avoid spilling powder.

I've been using a Ted Cash floppy funnel measure for 25+ years for all load work...

Floppy funnel! I like it! We can call this one the "floppy funnel" and the other one (the cut-off type) the "swivel funnel," just to standardize the terminology. I'm glad yours works for you. Mine didn't work for me.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Ive got the adjustable Treso that strikes off the top as you were mentioning and I really like the thing. I was hoping there would be a fixed measure with that feature but I’m afraid you’re right, I’ll have to make one.

It is a DIY sport.
Take an adjustable measure and epoxy it in place and cut off the remainder.

Dixie Gun Works has them. I have one and really like it. The brass screw on the end of the measuring piece screws off and has a nipple pick on the underside.
Screenshot_20200523-091244_Chrome.jpg

Back