• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Straight Peanut Oil for Patch Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawn diluted with water is my go to patch lube. Just shot a five day match and never cleaned the rifle till I got home.
Learned this from a champion competition black powder shooter.

Now for out in the field hunting, spit would be doing the job
What is your formula?

He's referring to use as a patch lube rather than a cleaner.

When I mix it I go 8/1 water/soap. It works fine. There's no magic formula. It's more important to mix it the same every time.

Years ago when I was bored and looking for something to do I tested many oils as patch lubes: olive, peanut, corn, soybean,cod liver,sperm oil (both the real stuff and the jobola synthetic ), lard, beef tallow, and canola oil. I found not real difference. My method was clean the barrel try five shots with the oil being tested, clean the barrel and repeat with the next sample.lastly I tried STP but only for two shots as the fouling was really bad.

For my lubrication, I melt together 1 stick of beeswax, 2 table spoons of walnut oil and 1/2 tablesppon of pine Rosen. The walnut oil is a hardening oil almost like Linseed oil, but much less sticky. The pine rosen (pine tar), makes the mixture form tighter and doesn’t melt down. When you press down on the mixture it becomes greasy but will keep its shape otherwise.

Beeswax and Pine Rosen is an old 18th century preservative that was used to seal up jars and canvas rags.

Kill a bear and use the bear oil to kill another bear. It's free, natural, PC, and works good.

Back