• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.530 balls in a 28 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would these work for roundball? Would it be able to achieve any accuracy with it. I am getting a 28 gauge pistol and my only option for ammo would be off the shelf for a .54. This pistol will be used at twenty yards and less.

Magungo, if you would tell us what your shooting, it may help us. Is it a smooth rifle or a straight up shotgun. Is it a true .550 bore or something else. I have both a 28 gauge shotgun and a smooth rifle. In the rifle .535 round ball with .015-.018 patch is what it likes. The shotgun prefers a loose patched round ball but I don’t shoot many round balls out of it.

Magungo, if you would tell us what your shooting, it may help us. Is it a smooth rifle or a straight up shotgun. Is it a true .550 bore or something else. I have both a 28 gauge shotgun and a smooth rifle. In the rifle .535 round ball with .015-.018 patch is what it likes. The shotgun prefers a loose patched round ball but I don’t shoot many round balls out of it.
a 28 gauge Caywood pistol

You could send off an email to Caywood and see what they recommend.

A true 28 gauge will measure 0.549853", okay 0.550". If that is the diameter for your pistol, then a 0.530" with 0.020" patching should work. You will get enough patch compression to hold the ball in place. You may need to smooth the crown some.

Hi, I have a very light 28 gauge "monkey gun" shotgun. I have used .54 round ball. It is great fun. I have to use much less powder as the gun is so light. If I remember about 60 grain of FFF kicked like a mule. I would start with 30 gr or so....

Latest posts

Back