• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel Boring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the dimension of your barrel across the flats? Do you want it smoothbore or rifled?

15/16, it a tradition barrel .54 cal. I sent the barrel to Robert Hoyt. He said he will bore out to .58 smooth bore. I wanted to use as a shotgun. Thanks.

Got my barrel back today. Had to back out breech plug one turn. Cleaned it and loaded it, shot it. works find. I,m happy Thanks, Robert!

Got my barrel back today. Had to back out breech plug one turn. Cleaned it and loaded it, shot it. works find. I,m happy Thanks, Robert!

Why would you have to back out the breech plug a turn? That leaves a gap between the face of the plug and its seat at the back of the bore for fouling and corrosion to settle in. Hoyt has installed enough breech plugs that I'm sure he did it right.

It was removed to bore out barrel. When replaced it was to far in won't hook. Had to back it out. No big deal.

It was removed to bore out barrel. When replaced it was to far in won't hook. Had to back it out. No big deal.

Thats an indication that the plug was improperly installed from the get go. It wasn't seated at the bottom of the threads when initially installed. Hoyt, being a competent Smith seated the plug as it should have been and probably not realizing that when correctly seated it would not fit the tang.

That's what happens when you buy a Traditions, Only paid 75.00 for it, Buyer beware. Shot today, had to change front sight to smaller tarditional sight. Shooting 8" low at 25yrds. filed sight , Now right on at 25. will try 50yrds. when stops raining. More to come. Shooting .575 dia. round ball with 10ths. patch, 70grs. 777/2f.

Last edited:
You really should properly inatll the plug against the internal shoulder. It is a safety issue. IF you let the powder fouling accumulate in the threads the plug will rust in place. You may have issues with cleaning patches getting stuck. IT also puts more stain on the plug threads to have a larger surface area taking pressure.

To make the hooked breech work with the plug properly seated you will need to fit the plug to the hook. You can work on the hook and tang. Assuming sufficent material is a simple job. Use marking pen to see where the hook is touching the tang socket. Remove material, while maintianing the angles until the tang proprley interfaces with the breech plug hook.

That's what happens when you buy a Traditions, Only paid 75.00 for it, Buyer beware. Shot today, had to change front sight to smaller tarditional sight. Shooting 8" low at 25yrds. filed sight , Now right on at 25. will try 50yrds. when stops raining. More to come. Shooting .575 dia. round ball with 10ths. patch, 70grs. 777/2f.

How were you able to back out the breech pug one turn if the bolster is interlocking ?

No pics. Don't have a smart phone. Everything lines up Hammer hits Square on nipple. Maybe I lucked out I don't know , It works, Its a cheap rifle. i have other muzzle loaders That are better than this one. ( its a beater) Its not worth the money.

Maybe you will throw it out AFTER the back end of that barrel "BLOWS OFF" and embeds itself in your head!

Do we know for a fact that all Traditions barrels have an interlocking drum/plug?

Not going to speak for Hoyt, but if twere me I would never agree to debreeching and reboring a barrel with an interlock unless it was received debreeched to be returned debreeched. OTOH, maybe its a simple task for a pro like Hoyt.

If it was an interlocking it couldn't be removed and replaced with the plug turned in an extra turn.

It has the original barrel. It has vise grip marks on the drum, some one has tamper with it. The hole in the breech is oblong. I'll have to order one plus a new drum. Thanks to all.

Back