• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TARGET IDEA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I founded and have been involved with the Simon Girty Long Rifles since 1978. Over the years we have held 3-4 shoots/campouts. We are always looking for novel and different target. Now that attrition has all but decimated the Girtys, we still try to hold 3 shoots a year. Seems campouts are fewer and fewer, due to the aging members, however. Recently I hosted our Spring thing and I, as always, wanted some sort of “different” target. Steel clangers are good, but we are more into some type of breakables. So, with the “stay at home” regulation here in NY, I decided to try a different approach to a target. I wanted a target that would be easy to see a hit and did something when hit. Water filled objects are good, but been there and done that. The principle is simple; when hit by a 1200+ foot/second projectile, non-compressible water will exert a force upon its containing vessel. And you could get an ”exploding” occasionally. Hydraulics, you know. Ah, an idea.

I used a plastic cup that numerous snacks come in. These were from Wally World and hold apple sauce. The cups measure 2 7/8” opening, 2 1/8” base and 1 ¾” height. I filled them with FINGER JELLO, red strawberry. (Many recipes for the FINGER JELLO are available on the internet). After setting in the refrigerator for a while, they solidify into a semi-solid material. I then drew a circle on a piece of corrugated card board and used hot glue to hold the cup onto the board.
dgki4-3r-SUSU0k1-APo-Ovog.jpg

After mounting the targets, we shot them at a distance of 25 yards. Hydraulics indeed. The cups literally exploded and Jell-O all over the place. The hole out the back of the carboard (triple wall even) was large.
DWXJbqzo-QLa-Mf-JYzc-FPiz-Q.jpg

Even a hit that was not dead center made a good response.
OGo3za-M9-Su-i3f-HFx-QGco-Q.jpg

And, those targets not hit were yummy.

Cool idea! I may try it too, but in my household we don't use many of those snack cups. I have seen smaller ones at GFS, and other restaurant supply stores.

What about other non-Newtonian fluids like oobleck? Oobleck may be cheaper than jello.

Great idea! Keep the different targets coming.
Reminds me of the time we were at a range in Nebraska with Pilgrim non shooting spectators. The Pilgrims were watching with curiosity and interest. A ML buddy who had a license for dynamite had some with him. He said " Watch this" and proceed to slice off a chunk of his dynamite and then pinned it on the target board when no Pilgrims were watching. Later when he had a few spectators, he proceeded to show them a muzzleloader in action. He was a good shot and at 25 yards, nailed the 1/2" or so slice of dynamite. Wow! You should have seen the look on the Pilgrim faces as they had no idea he hit anything but the target board. What a hoot! I will never forget that well digger. (RIP Dick)
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Charcoal briquettes makes good black poof. When the kids were young I’d buy the plastic Easter eggs after Easter for next to nothing. Drill a small hole in the top half and run a string thru it with a knot on the inside to hang them with. Fill the egg with flour and tape or glue shut. Hang by string and shoot. A little wind and you have a swinging target!
Ice cubes explode fairly well if it’s cool enough they don’t melt too quick also.

Are you asking or stating ideas? No matter I guess. Shooting card sideways so whoever cuts the card all the way through. Hang a small block of wood like a 2x2. Either cut the string or a team shooting one at a time. First to cut the wood in two pieces.

As a fun shoot during my archery years I would glue Lifesavers on a piece of white paper and draw a heavy black circle around them but leaving the Lifesaver off center in the circle. That made hitting the Lifesaver more difficult to hit but when it they would explode violently. It would be a fun target for a muzzleloader as well. Greg 🤠

I like targets that don't make a mess and attract yellow jackets to the goo they leave behind. Why spend time picking up trash when you could be shooting? JMHO

Charcoal briquettes sound good. No goo and no pickup.

I believe that the goo will dissolve in the rain. I’ll let you know. I have shot all of the afore mentioned, I.e., charcoal briquettes, just wanted to try something unique. Just a suggestion. Nothing more.

Larger size coffee filters with a scoop of flour. Tie closed with a string, and use the string to hang the swinging target. No doubt when you hit it, white cloud is obvious. Okra makes good targets, and that is the only thing it is good for. Small balloons partially inflated and hanging from a string are devilish to hit when you use a drop box to time the shot. Have to do this as some folks will wait an hour for the wind to die, so you have to get them to the line and to shoot.

Okra makes good targets, and that is the only thing it is good for.

Sacrilege!o_O

There are few things better than a plate of fried Okra, or a well made Squirrel/Chicken, Sausage and Okra gumbo.

As far as targets, one of my favorites is scraps of wood (2x4s, 6s, 1xs etc.) from construction projects as they can be any size, 4"X4' being a favorite. Also blocks of ice of various sizes, that can even have food coloring added. neither leaves nothing that has to be picked up

I've been running the Ladies' Shoot for OVPR for several years, and I ran the Woods Walk for almost a decade before that. One that's always a favourite is to take a pair of queen size pantyhose from the dollar store (and didn't I just get some looks buying those! 🤣) and put an egg in each foot. Then tie a knot in the leg just above 'em and drop in another. Repeat until you have a bunch up each leg looking like a henhouse snake, then hang it from a tree. Tell your shooters that they have to shoot the one on the bottom. VERY easy to see hits.
Marshmallows on strings or skewers are easy and clean themselves up at the next rain.

I believe that the goo will dissolve in the rain. I’ll let you know. I have shot all of the afore mentioned, I.e., charcoal briquettes, just wanted to try something unique. Just a suggestion. Nothing more.

I like steel targets. No trash to pick up or "bio degrade" (stink)
When you hit them they ring and react (if you buy the right ones)

If you want to reclaim your lead to re-melt here is a suggestion.
The tire captures over 90% of the lead and the plate rings like a bell.... what's not to like?
google Hang Fast Targets
MQdJKXl.jpg

How about an egg shoot? Raw eggs on a stand at 25 yards. Miss the egg and you have to eat it, raw. 2X4 with shallow holes for the eggs to sit in. Also golf tees. Drill holes in a 2X4 to push tees into with the cupped end facing to shooter.

How about an egg shoot? Raw eggs on a stand at 25 yards. Miss the egg and you have to eat it, raw. 2X4 with shallow holes for the eggs to sit in. Also golf tees. Drill holes in a 2X4 to push tees into with the cupped end facing to shooter.
I did a variation of this with different hot peppers hanging from strings. Some were bigger, like a jalapeno, and other were smaller, like a Scotch Bonnet. Miss it, eat it. Unfortunately there were some wimps who claimed their hardy mountain man physique was allergic or cause sickness....and they would buy their way out as a small fee was assessed per pepper. If we ever do it again, a higher fee should be the option.

I've done this, and the problem is that the first time someone hits the 2x4, you get a big ole omelette. 😔
Jay

Back