• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

54 Cal Lyman GPR RB deer performance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon Guys and Gals,

I’m a new member and I have a question about my 54 GPR and RB performance on deer, pass through, blood trails? How’s the 54 do?I’m in Michigan and I’m young (22). Traditional muzzleloaders always have been a passion of mine, with all the stupid craze of long range hunting, 450 bushmasters etc here in southern Michigan, I’ve decided to make a complete switch. One it’s addictive to me I throughly enjoy it, also the hunt to me is more of a hunt. Not busting on people who enjoy more modern firearms.Like I said I have a left handed Lyman GPR, 1/60 twist, my go to load that shoots absolutely lights out for me, 120 2f goex, yes I understand that you don’t need that much but with a ton of experimentation with different patches, balls, powder charges my rifle likes a stout load. Anyways, 120 grains 2f goex, .535 hornady rb, a .20 cotton patch lubed with mink oil, and an over powder oxyyote wad (dry). Performs outstanding out to 80 yards about 2” groups if I do my part, I shoot two and swab the bore, also I have a red hot #11 nipple and CCI mag #11s been a good combo for me. I plan on keeping my effective range 80 yards or less, hows the 54 RB do on deer, all I have is paper punching experience, I sold my 450 and I’m completely invested in this traditional way of hunting, after hearing all sides from my friends and family who really haven’t done the research of RB performance ie mountain men, wars etc. I would like some experience from the more experienced men and woman on here. How are the blood trails also? I understand shot placement is everything. So if you could enlighten me a little bit I would enjoy it!
Thanks, Turner

Just as a point of reference, I get complete pass through out 100 yards and closer (just don’t take too many roundball shots past 100 yards) with 80-90 grains of Swiss fff under a roundball in 54, 58 and 62 caliber. Same terminal results with paper patched conical in 45 caliber with the same powder charge, although sights setup to shoot a bit farther.

Maybe explain to the doubters that if people reliably take deer with traditional bows, than a large bore muzzleloader will do just fine.

There is a reason (many really) why professional hunters and survivalists took up guns rather than staying with bows and arrows. Range really isn't a factor either, as most deer you take there will be within 50 yards.

At that range, I wouldn't doubt that ab.54 round ball would have as much stopping power than a 450 Bushmaster. Remember that a bullet that goes through and through did not transfer all of its energy into the target.

My hunting load is 110 grains of 2fg, heavy pillow ticking with no lube in a clean barrel and standard Remington cap. I load the rifle except for cap the evening before season and it stays loaded (other then decapping to go home for the night) till I shoot game. Some times that is as long as two weeks with any kind of weather. Haven’t had a misfire yet.

My hunting load is 110 grains of 2fg, heavy pillow ticking with no lube in a clean barrel and standard Remington cap. I load the rifle except for cap the evening before season and it stays loaded (other then decapping to go home for the night) till I shoot game. Some times that is as long as two weeks with any kind of weather. Haven’t had a misfire yet.
I checked my little load data book tonight I’m shooting the same powder and charge, awesome! Thanks for the help!

Maybe explain to the doubters that if people reliably take deer with traditional bows, than a large bore muzzleloader will do just fine.

There is a reason (many really) why professional hunters and survivalists took up guns rather than staying with bows and arrows. Range really isn't a factor either, as most deer you take there will be within 50 yards.

At that range, I wouldn't doubt that ab.54 round ball would have as much stopping power than a 450 Bushmaster. Remember that a bullet that goes through and through did not transfer all of its energy into the target.
I agree I’m pretty confident they won’t have the same punch as the 450 but that’s why I’m not doing it! I think this combo with my tree saddle will be deadly! Just have to adjust my hunting style a tad, and I agree too most shot really are around 50 yards farthest one I’ve ever killed was 87 with a shotgun a while ago!

Just as a point of reference, I get complete pass through out 100 yards and closer (just don’t take too many roundball shots past 100 yards) with 80-90 grains of Swiss fff under a roundball in 54, 58 and 62 caliber. Same terminal results with paper patched conical in 45 caliber with the same powder charge, although sights setup to shoot a bit farther.
That’s good to hear, do you usually have a blood trail to follow or is it weak?

I had the same rifle. Never hunted with it or put that powder load but it was brutal off the bench leaning into a shot. That butt plate is unforgiving. Great rifle though.
I really like it! The recoil doesn’t bother me too bad with a round ball, I have a friend that has the hunter version that can shoot conicals, and that sucker just hurts!

That’s good to hear, do you usually have a blood trail to follow or is it weak?
Two holes more blood than one. Larger caliber more blood and shorter trail. I usually use the 58 and take at least one shoulder when hunting in Western NC mountains. A deer than runs even 10 yards may take all day to retrieve...... I’ve seen it happen. The ‘I’m not wasting any meat crowd’ are usually left on their own if they insist on repeating the double lung shot in one of the difficult to retrieve areas.

Good thread. My last mulie [Idaho] was huge! He was on a downhill trail. Bang .. front legs buckle .. slid down the trail halfway to my waiting pickup. Dress him out and help him slide the rest of the way down. Well, yes there was a long blood trail. :thumb:Lyman GPR [my build] .50 with PRB. Polecat

Back