• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to stain a hickory ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
over it years I have had problems staining a hickory ramrod. sometimes they take the stain but most times they don't. I stained one last night and went out this morning and it did not take the stain. what do you fellers do to make it stay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Zonie or someone here has suggested for beech to use a alcohol based stain as it penetrates better. I suspect the minwax is more oil based and does not penetrate. A water or alcohol based stain likely will penetrate more.

I see hawkeye2 posted as I was writing this. He is probably right about water based stains. I'll defer to those more knowledgeable than me.

I used aquafortis. It turned out medium brown with the grains showing up a little more
I've been using aqua forties on ramrods for a while now, leaves a nice older looking color to the rod. Generally I will make two applications, heating in between coats with a heat gun to get that reddish blush color...then use a scotchbrite pad to smooth the surface before applying tried & true oil. Turns out quite nicely...

Back