• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show me your turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this one back in April 2020, 40 caliber flintlock. Bird weighed 22 pounds with a 9 3/4 beard.

SS850183.jpg

Anyone have any turkey success pics? Also... How did they hunt turkey before the advent of modern camouflage? It's mind boggling.

9B12239F-5FBE-4EBA-9AFF-6C9CD640007A.jpeg

Here’s this year’s gobbler. I wore a plaid flannel shirt and brown cotton duck bib overalls. Doesn’t make it any easier than wearing camo, but, camo isn’t necessary if you hold REAL still until the moment of truth!

One thing I like about the muzzleloading crowd is thumbing our noses at much of what the modern hunting industry tells us we NEED to be successful.

Good luck, Skychief.

I do all my hunting from the ground in jeans and plaid or earth tone shirts. camo for hunting is a gimmick for the most part. I mostly whiptail deer hunt here in SC and kill deer as close as 30yds or so. the key to success is wind and movement. you control that and you have it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a question about using shotguns. Do you use lead or copper shot in your front stuffers? I have a Double Barrel 12 gauge I built in the early 80's and used #7 shot for "Trying to bust" clay bids and did shoot a couple of dove after about 20 shots. I hunted turkey once and bought a box of turkey loads in 12 gauge and would cut the crimped end off of the shells and pour the Copper shot down the barrel over 80 grains of 2F, over powder card, wad, over wad card, shot and then over shot card. That worked best in my old double. I had some help with that load from some shotgun shooters around Electra, TX at what they called a "Quail Walk" match. Before all of the cards under and over the wad it was shooting donuts at 25 yards.
I sure want to take a bird with the Double this fall or next sping.
Mike

I have a question about using shotguns. Do you use lead or copper shot in your front stuffers? I have a Double Barrel 12 gauge I built in the early 80's and used #7 shot for "Trying to bust" clay bids and did shoot a couple of dove after about 20 shots. I hunted turkey once and bought a box of turkey loads in 12 gauge and would cut the crimped end off of the shells and pour the Copper shot down the barrel over 80 grains of 2F, over powder card, wad, over wad card, shot and then over shot card. That worked best in my old double. I had some help with that load from some shotgun shooters around Electra, TX at what they called a "Quail Walk" match. Before all of the cards under and over the wad it was shooting donuts at 25 yards.
I sure want to take a bird with the Double this fall or next sping.
Mike
Visit the smoothbore section. You will learn all you need. Read especially about the Skychief loading method.

Back