• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson percussion rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Vince,

The Thompson Center's were Great Rifles, Life Time Guarantee and all.
I think what their downside was the fact that the Hawken didn't look anything like an original Hawken. Also some didn't like the fact that they used a Coiled Hammer Spring instead of a Flat Spring. They usually shot pretty well.

AntiqueSledMan.

I’ve got a Renegade I’m still figuring out what I want to do with. Stock doesn’t fit me well, so I’m thinking of going PR stock, and maybe next winter send the barrel to Hoyt

Hello Vince,

The Thompson Center's were Great Rifles, Life Time Guarantee and all.
I think what their downside was the fact that the Hawken didn't look anything like an original Hawken. Also some didn't like the fact that they used a Coiled Hammer Spring instead of a Flat Spring. They usually shot pretty well.

AntiqueSledMan.
When the purists bash the TC Hawken because it doesn’t look like an authentic Hawken, I could never understand why they are so upset with a name. I’m sure that a child with the name John doesn’t look like the same John from the bible, why not bash him? Then that same bashing carries over to the Renegade, as just being TC junk and not a real muzzleloader. The Renegade was not named after anything historical, so no angle to bash there, so lets just bash the fact it doesn’t look like anything PC/HC!
TC made a great product and I stand by every one I have, or currently own.
Walk

TC and CVA were for many the entry into BP shooting in early 70s. the movie "jeremiah johnson" definitely accelerated the interest too. For many they have and had very good success in hunting and target shooting. As with any product , at times, attempts to improve it sometimes really didnt ! As you seen posted here many have and had them and did well while others not so much. Get what you can afford and do the best with what you get !

Have owned, and sold a dozen or more when we had a shop. Only have a one left. Think they are superior in fit and finish to cva and the "close" copies made elsewhere. They will shoot well when tuned up and were worth the $ when brand new. My biggest problem with them is the looks and balance with the single wedge and 28" barrel. Had TC made the "hawken" a 32" barrel with double wedges it would have been far better for me. I Added a 32" sharon made barrel and a "late style" hammer to my sole keeper and it has made it much nicer, but not perfect. Also now that many lock parts are not available under the "lifetime" guarantee have concerns. Seems the wax cast fly and tumbler have a limited life and are prone to fail. FWIW and IMHO, the best as-is TC ML products ever made were the .32/.45 Seneca, the 12 gauge New englander and the Patriot pistol. Current demand and prices for these kinda support my reasoning. If your happy with a standard hawken i reccomend you pick up an extra working lock or two or just the parts while you can.

My first muzzleloader, built from a kit more then 40 years ago was a TC Hawken in 50 caliber. It has since continued to perform with superb accuracy and high reliability. Used the same load all this time, .490RB, .015” patch, 100gr FFG. An old, crummy photo of my first buck taken back then with it.
A2B3EF6D-AFF2-406B-BA27-C028E939A0A0.jpegOk in

My first M/L was a T/C Hawken in kit form. Didn't know anyone who shot black powder firearms so I had to learn the art of shooting and maintaining by my lonesome. I still have the rifle. It was bought and built in 1983. Recently the Hawken has been used to show ladies how muzzle loaders are loaded and fired. My club sponsors the NRA Women On Target course. My friend and I are the only two B/P shooters, he has a T/C Renegade, and we get good feedback after the day's event. It seems that the M/L part of the course is the biggest hit.

How do'es everyone feel about the Thompson made rifles? I have had 3 different thompsons , renegade, hawkin, new englander and only really hunt and target shot with them. I gather that some do not like them and would like to know why.

Thanks ya'll
I have 3 and really like them all. A 50 cal Hawken with a green Mountain round ball barrel and a L&R lock, 50 cal renagade with a LRH green Mountain barrel and a 32 cal Cherokee which is stock. Always had good luck with TC

How do'es everyone feel about the Thompson made rifles? I have had 3 different thompsons , renegade, hawkin, new englander and only really hunt and target shot with them. I gather that some do not like them and would like to know why.

Thanks ya'll

I wanted one very much...until I saw an authentic Hawken rifle. 1974 that was. I paid more for a kit of parts than I'd pay for a new TC "Hawken". Never looked back nor regretted. Still I must say I've seen some folks shoot very well with their TCs.

I shot my first ans won many prizes with it. Still have it. It's what I would take on a ML hunt.

I wanted one very much...until I saw an authentic Hawken rifle. 1974 that was. I paid more for a kit of parts than I'd pay for a new TC "Hawken". Never looked back nor regretted. Still I must say I've seen some folks shoot very well with their TCs.

I shot my first ans won many prizes with it. Still have it. It's what I would take on a ML hunt.

I've got a bunch of them, 2 seneca's and a cherokee, all 45 cal. 3 renegades, 2 are 54's and 1 a 56 smoothbore. 2 hawkens, 45 and 50 cal. A white mountain carbine 50, a buckeye carbine 50, a big bore 58 and a Pennsylvania hunter 50. Never had a lock problem and all are good shooters, except the penn hunter, never shot that. I have several other muzzleloaders as well, but I would rate TC well above cva any day of the week.

thompson made a good rifle that started the renewed interest in muzzleloading, a lot of my friends back in the 70's bought one and I remember having to have one myself. I think that we should just shoot what we like and have and enjoy muzzleloading.
I will keep my renegade and pass it on to my grandson along with years worth of muzzleloading shooting gear.
Thanks for all your thoughts and comments .

I had a T/C Hawken in the late 70's. It was very accurate.
Have a .54 Renegade now, excellent barrel and very good overall condition. Paid $125 at a flea market several years ago. :oops::oops:
Has the typical problem of the comb being too high for me to use the sights comfortably. What are the suggestions for a fix?
Considered a replacement stock, not sure if the current stack could be reconfigured without destroying it. Thought of higher sights but not sure if that would help.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

Folks are all made physically different and it seems some find fault with T/C stocks because of the lack of drop on their stocks.

They fit me fine. I have a problem with stocks that have significant drop on them. They just do not work for me.

T/C's most likely have won been more medals, plaques and trophies than any other make.

Name an American made rifle that is superior to a T/C and has more of a following?

If it's not superior, why did Green Mountain make so many drop in barrels and why is Rice now making drop in barrels for a rifle that is no longer made?

Back