• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Crispy Forehead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I’ve noticed sometimes when I’m shooting I’ve got sparks or debris or something coming back at my me and somewhat burning my forehead. I mean, it’s not injuring me, but it’s certainly uncomfortable and sometimes I pull shots anticipating it. I’ve got a great load for my GPR and I noticed the other day when I went 80-85 grains. (Testing powder charge). Now when I say great load, it’s very accurate and I don’t have to wipe the bore til probably 15-16 shots. Is this problem I’m having due to a dirty gun? Or too much powder? I’ve settled at 75 grains, but I still wonder. And keep in mind I’m still a newbie lol!

That’s bewildering, this nipple has MAYBE 24 firings on it. And I hate to admit it but I’ll be honest, I hope it’s not the flash cup, literally simply because I think it looks kick***. But I’ll try without it and pop a new nipple in there. I didnt think something like this should be happening

The flash cup could be directing debris back and up, I've never found on necessary on a sidelock. Is the nipple a factory on or an aftermarket? The hole could be larger than needed.

The flash cup could be directing debris back and up, I've never found on necessary on a sidelock. Is the nipple a factory on or an aftermarket? The hole could be larger than needed.

I wore the original nipple out, the hammer eventually flared it out and I couldn’t get a cap all the way on. I got this one from track of the wolf. Unknown manufacturer.

Never change 2 things at the same time when troubleshooting. Remove the cup and try, a couple of shots will tell you if that's the problem or not. If you got a nipple from TOW you shouldn't have any problems there.

Make absolutely sure you are wearing eye protection as well as hearing protection. In my experience percussion rifles do sometimes "spit" back at you; rare in a flintlock. Just one other thing I'll throw in for consideration is a weak hammer spring. I have a rifle that does that when a certain powder charge is exceeded. The hammer pops up just enough for a few particles to escape. I've even seen guns with weak springs that would go to half cock when heavier loads were fired.

I don't think it is at all rare for a flintlock to "spit" something back at me.

If I am shooting a flintlock without wearing a hat, the flash in the pan often sends a few dozen sparks back onto my forehead. I'm not overloading the pan when it does this. Usually the pan is only half full of powder but it is enough to cause some discomfort to my skin.

Actually, I don't recall my percussion guns ever throwing sparks or cap fragments back into my face. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Check the hole in the nipple perhaps it was manufactured with a oversized hole or maybe it was drilled oversize by someone who may have prior purchased it and returned it. ( unknown manufacture should be the first clue)

A new nipple sounds like a good thing to try. I have a few percussion guns and shoot much heavier charges than 85 grains. The only time I have experienced a gas flash from the breach was with my percussion Sharps. I bought it used, acquired a ring tail bullet mold, made up a bunch of paper cartridges and headed to the woods. Upon firing it would blow my cap nearly off my head. Thankfully a local gunsmith was able to fit a replacement gas check which solved the problem.

Well guys, went and shot my rifle today without the flash cup. Problem solved!
Glad to hear the problem has gone away.

The hammer nose has a hollowed out area shape so that it deflects the fragments and powder gas downward, away from the shooters face. Those "flash cups" redirect the gas and fragments up around the end of the hammer back up where they can cause problems like you were having.
About the only thing good to say about those cups is they keep the barrel and stock in the area around the nipple clean.
To my way of thinking, the trade off isn't worth it.

I won’t lie Zonie, I was complaining a bit in my head as I was cleaning my rifle, but hey, that’s part of the fun right? Lol! And I sure do appreciate y’all and all the help!

Back